Building record MYO1166 - 138-142 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5977 5151 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Formerly known as: Nos.138 AND 140 MICKLEGATE. House. Early C17, altered c1700; remodelled and refronted, with shopfronts, in mid C19. Timber-framed, now fronted in stuccoed brick, with timber frieze band; rear of orange-red brick in random bond. Slate roof with brick stacks, one set diagonally. L-shaped on plan.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 4-window front. Shopfronts have panelled pilasters and plain entablatures between grooved and corbelled brackets capped with rounded gablets. No.138 has glazed door between half-canted windows with transoms; No.140 a 4-panel door to right of 2-light shop window with moulded mullion. First floor windows are 4-pane sashes over stuccoed sill band. Rear: 2 storeys, with gabled wing to left. Rear of front range has glazed and panelled door on ground floor, 12-pane sash on first floor, both in original openings with cambered brick arches: to right on both floors, inserted C20 openings. Ground floor of wing has 4-panel door to left of enlarged window with 18-pane sash; on first floor, two 12-pane sashes with cambered brick arches. 2-course raised brick band to first floor, returned on wing.
INTERIOR: inspection not possible. RCHM record timber-framing in the rear wing and fireplace with bolection moulded surround: close string staircase with turned bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters, and moulded handrail. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 95).
Listing NGR: SE5977451517
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 138, was built as a timber-framed L-shaped structure in the 17th century, remaining evidence being some framing in the back range, a chimney, and the upper part of the staircase. The back walls were rebuilt, or cased in brick, c. 1700; window openings and a fireplace surround of this date remain. Soon after 1850 the house was drastically remodelled and refronted. The house was for several generations the property of the Fothergill family, who sometimes lived in it, and it remained a private residence until after 1850 (YCA, E.93, f. 118; Rate Books; Directories).
The front, of stuccoed brick, has a mid 19th-century shop front and four sash windows above with a stucco-dressed band at sill level. The back of the main range, of narrow brick, has a two-course band between the storeys and, above, to W., a gable. To E. A wing projects at right angles, built of the same brick and with the same narrow band as the main range. A chimney has a 17th-century diagonally-set shaft.
On the first floor there is timber framing in the back wing and a fire-place with bolection-moulded surround. The remnant of a 17th-century staircase (now sealed off) has a heavy moulded rail, closed string, square newel with halfbaluster attached to one face, and heavy turned bulbous balusters; those on the top landing are somewhat thinner.
Information derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 99
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060847 138 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 3:38PM