Building record MYO1167 - 144-146 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5976 5151 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- HOUSE (Before Late C17, Early C17 - 1601 AD to 1633 AD)
- HOUSE (Late C17, Late C17 - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- FLATS (Mid C19, Mid C19 - 1834 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (Mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (C20, Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
Shown on OS map as Bank. House, now shops and flats. Late C17, probably incorporating remains of earlier house; remodelled and subdivided early C19; raised and re-roofed later, with mid C19 shopfronts; altered in C20.Front and rear wings of orange mottled brick in random bond, with limestone quoins and shaped kneelers to wings; rear extension between wings and wing gables of dark red brick. Slate roof with brick stacks. Originally H-plan.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-window front. Shopfronts are of plain pilasters and fascias with moulded cornice interrupted by grooved and corbelled brackets capped with rounded gablets: shop doors are glazed, windows plate glass. Upstairs access door to left of centre 2-panelled with overlight. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes with sills and flat arches of gauged brick. On second floor, windows are pivoting, of 6 panes, with sills.
INTERIOR: No 144: altered staircase, approached from No.142 (qv), rises from first to second floor, and has open string, slender turned balusters and swept moulded handrail. First floor: landing has moulded cornice and two doorcases, enriched with carved rosettes; subdivided front room has moulded cornice and panelled window reveals. On second floor two rooms retain painted cast-iron fireplaces with foliage trails and scalloped mantle shelves. Nos 146 and 148: On ground floor, round arch on pilasters with moulded imposts and panelled soffit leads to stairhall at rear, door of 6 raised and fielded panels. Staircase rises from ground to second floor, and has close string, stick balusters, chamfered newels and small ball and pedestal finials. First floor rear room retains full-height panelling on two walls, York range, moulded cornice and cased transverse beam. On second floor, two rooms retain painted stone fireplaces with bask grates: doors are 2-panelled: blocked window in gable wall in front room to left. House may incorporate remains of the first brick house to be built in York, known in early C17 as 'le read-brick house'. ( City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 95-96)
Listing NGR: SE5976651514
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, Nos. 142, 144, 146, was probably the ancient house of the Waller family and may incorporate remains of the new house called 'le read-brick house' of Thomas Waller (d. 1609), mentioned early in the 17th century (Davies, 138). The main campaign of building may have been due to Robert Waller, Sheriff in 1674–5, Lord Mayor 1684, and M.P. 1690, who died in 1698. In 1720 Ann Waller, widow of Matthew Waller, gent., sold the freehold to Nathaniel Wilson, a merchant (YCA, E.93, f. 6); the house was then occupied by Thomas Selby, esq., still in residence in 1746 (York Journal, 10 Feb. 1747). Subsequent occupiers included members of the families of Wintringham, Lawson and Corneille (Davies, 139). Major Bartholomew Corneille was the owner in 1774–7 (Rate Books; YCA, E.94, f. 197v.), and his widow continued to live in the house until 1806. For many years thereafter the property remained in the hands of William Gage, esq., and his daughters, Miss Margaret Gage and Mrs. George Anne, until 1843. It was probably Mr. Gage, c. 1810, who rebuilt the upper part of the Micklegate front; the rear dates mostly from the late 17th century.
The front elevation, comprising a range of three houses, now contains shop windows at ground floor; above are sash windows with flush frames, timber sills and flat arches of gauged rubbed brick; and on the second floor, small sash windows over those below. From the level of the first-floor window arches, the building has been heightened, in coarser brickwork. The back (Plate 54), covered at ground floor by a modern industrial building, had originally two late 17th-century gabled wings with a narrow space between, which was later filled by a brick three-storeyed structure with a gable, probably in the early 18th century. The wings have limestone ashlar quoins and shaped kneelers; a three-course brick band at the base of each gable has been matched in the central structure. At first floor, the E. Gable has a modern window set in a 17th-century opening with a three-centred arched head; the central window of the W. Wing has been partly concealed but part of its arch remains. In the central section the arch of an old window remains, probably of the 18th century. The
Derived from RCHME- 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 100
144-6 Micklegate. Shown on OS map as Bank. House, now shops and flats. Late 17th century, probably incorporating remains of an earlier house; remodelled and subdivided early 19th century; raised and re-roofed later, with mid-19th century shopfronts; altered in 20th century. Originally H-plan. Exterior: 3-storey 5-window front. House may incorporate remains of the first brick house to be built in York, known in early C17 as 'le read-brick house'.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060848 142-146 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 3:49PM