Building record MYO1172 - CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CUM GREGORY (Exhibition Centre)

Summary

This parish church, now serving as a public hall, is originally of the 11th century with 13th century north and south arcades, and a mid 14th century north aisle with a 13th century doorway. The chancel and clerestory are of the late 15th century, with a 17th century porch and west tower, refaced in brick. The church is of dressed limestone encompassing pre-Conquest fragments with the east end and west end of south aisle and tower in brick. The roofs are of lead, tile, and slate. The chancel is two bays with north and south chapels and a two-bay aisled nave and clerestory with a north vestry and a tower on the west end.

Location

Grid reference SE 6000 5160 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (15)

Full Description

Parish church, now public hall. C11 nave; early C13 north and south arcades; mid C14 north aisle with C13 north doorway. c1430 chancel, chancel chapels and arcades rebuilt retaining part of early C14 south chapel east wall; south side rebuilt, retaining late C14 south porch doorway and upper storey window; west tower rebuilt. Late C15 chancel arch and nave clerestory. 1655 north porch added; c1677 west tower refaced in brick. C18 north and south aisles reroofed; nave and north aisle ceiled. 1844-45 tower upper stage rebuilt; vestry and anteroom formed at west end of north aisle. 1894 restoration and chancel reroofed. 1844-45 work by JB and W Atkinson. MATERIALS: dressed limestone with some gritstone, incorporating Pre-Conquest fragments; east end gables and south aisle west gable built up in brick; tower refaced in orange-red brick in English garden wall bond, with ashlar quoins and dressings. Roofs of lead, tile and slate. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels; 2-bay aisled nave and clerestory, north vestry; west tower. EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end, chancel and north chapel on chamfered plinth, south chapel on moulded plinth; buttresses with offsets, north angle one with decaying gargoyle. North chapel window of 5 cinquefoiled lights with trefoil-headed panel tracery in 2-centred head. South chapel window of three ogee-headed trefoiled lights beneath cusped reticulated tracery, in chamfered 2-centred head with hoodmould. On north side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays articulated by buttresses with offsets and decaying gargoyles. 3-light windows similar in detail to that at east end, over moulded sillstring. Beneath easternmost window is partly buried blocked window of two ogee-headed trefoiled lights in chamfered square head. Coved cornice carved with bosses beneath parapet. Aisle on chamfered plinth. Coped and gabled porch projects towards west end with chamfered 2-centred arch; within, reset doorway with 2-centred arch beneath nailhead hoodmould. Windows are of three trefoiled lights with cusped reticulated tracery in 2-centred heads over chamfered sillstring. On south side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays separated by buttresses with moulded offsets. Windows are of three cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery, some renewed, in 2-centred heads, beneath hoodmoulds. Chamfered cornice and parapet with moulded coping continues across south aisle. Aisle on moulded plinth has three buttresses with moulded


NMR information:

Parish church, now public hall. 11th century nave; early 13th century north and south arcades; mid 14th century north aisle with 13th century north doorway. circa 1430 chancel, chancel chapels and arcades rebuilt retaining part of early 14th century south chapel east wall; south side rebuilt, retaining late 14th century south porch doorway and upper storey window; west tower rebuilt. Late 15th century chancel arch and nave clerestory. 1655 north porch added; circa 1677 west tower refaced in brick. 18th century north and south aisles reroofed; nave and north aisle ceiled. 1844-45 tower upper stage rebuilt; vestry and anteroom formed at west end of north aisle. 1894 restoration and chancel reroofed. 1844-45 work by JB and W Atkinson. 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels; 2-bay aisled nave and clerestory, north vestry; west tower. Part of a 9th century cross-shaft is built into the lowest course of the west face of the tower. Three other fragments of cross-shaft and grave have been found in the church, two being incorporated and now plastered over.

(SE 60015161) St. Martin's Church (NAT) (1)

Church of St Martin-cum-Gregory. Early English nave; Perpendicular chancel; C17 tower incorporating some carved Roman stones; C17 pulpit; C18 font cover and bread cupboard. Good medieval glass. Now in secular use only. (RCHM Vol. III, Monument 7.) (2)

Part of a 9th century cross-shaft is built into the lowest course of the west face of the tower. (3)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 1:2500 1963.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 201 City of York, June 1983.
3 Corpus of Anglo-Saxon stone sculpture, volume 3 : York and eastern Yorkshire 83 by James Lang


1962, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal (Article in Journal). SYO2817.

York Archaeological Trust, 2017, Church of Martin Cum Gregory WB (Unpublished document). SYO2024.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2017. Church of Martin Cum Gregory WB.
  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Article in Journal: 1962. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. XL.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Dec 20 2021 10:34AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.