Building record MYO1180 - 91-93 Micklegate

Summary

Early 18th century house, probably sub-divided and extended in the early 19th century; later modernisation, and 20th century shopfront. Exterior: 2-storey 2-window front. L-shaped plan.

Location

Grid reference SE 5983 5154 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

House. Early C18, probably sub-divided and extended in early C19; later modernisation, and C20 shopfront. Painted brick with cogged brick eaves course; partly rebuilt brick stack at right end of pantile roof. L-shaped on plan.

EXTERIOR: 2-storey 2-window front. Shopfront framed in plain pilasters with moulded imposts and bases, and continuous entablature with moulded cornice: paired half-glazed and panelled doors flanked by small-pane shop windows, of 2 lights to left and 3 lights to right. On first floor, windows are 16-pane sashes with painted sills and cambered arches.

INTERIOR: in ground floor room to left, early C19 hob grate survives in original fireplace. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 86).
Listing NGR: SE5984551539

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, Nos. 91, 93, consists of a two-storey brick range along the street and a lower range of one storey and semi-attic running S.E., forming an L-shaped plan. It is uncertain whether both ranges are of the same date; the heights are different but the brickwork appears similar. Some features, such as the tumbled gable to the back range and the sawtooth corbelled eaves on the front, indicate a late 17th or early 18th-century date. The whole property belonged to Phillip Tate senior, merchant tailor, by 1741, and 5 years later was sold to another of the same trade, John Monckton or Mountain, whose widow Jane lived in the house until 1776. It was then sold to Thomas Kilby, a brewer, who let it to a succession of tenants (YCA, E.94, ff. 198, 200v.; Rate Books of Holy Trinity). The first evidence of a division into two tenements is in 1830, when Mary Collins, dressmaker, seems to have occupied the smaller shop, No. 91; the larger shop, kept by Ellen and later by William Gregg, was a Post Office in 1851, when No. 91 was occupied by Robert Nutbrown, a gardener. The space enclosed by the two early ranges was filled in the 19th century, and there is a long 20th-century extension to the S.E.

The street front is shown in the elevation opposite p. 69. The interior has been considerably altered and the ground floor contains two shops separated by a through passage. No original features survive, apart from axial beams on both floors of the front range.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 82

NMR Information
91-3 Micklegate: early 18th century house, probably sub-divided and extended in the early 19th century; later modernisation, and 20th century shopfront. Exterior: 2-storey 2-window front. L-shaped plan.

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060829 91-93 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2020 11:30AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.