Building record MYO1185 - THE COACH PUBLIC HOUSE (NUMBERS 99, 101, and 103)
|Grid reference||SE 5981 5152 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- JETTIED HOUSE (Mid C14, Medieval - 1333 AD to 1366 AD)
- TENEMENT (Mid C14, Medieval - 1333 AD to 1366 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Mid C14, Medieval - 1333 AD to 1366 AD)
- HOUSE (C17, Post Medieval to Late C17 - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- HOUSE (C19, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOUSE (Mid C18, Early C18 to Mid C18 - 1733 AD to 1766 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- ROW (Restored 1961, C20 - 1961 AD to 1961 AD)
Four tenements from row of seven; now public house. Mid C14; No.101 has C19 rear wing, No.103 C17 rear wing. Refronted in mid C18 and C20; early C19 and C20 alteration. Remainder of row demolished in 1961. Originally built for Holy Trinity Priory.
MATERIALS: timber-framed with wattle and daub infilling partly replaced by brick; front now rough-cast: C17 wing of orange-brown brick in random bond; C19 wing of mottled brick in English garden-wall bond. Steeply pitched roof, slate at front, concrete pantile at rear, with brick stacks to rear of No.99 and to wing of No.103. PLAN: each tenement originally 1 bay wide, 1 bay deep.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 4-bay jettied front. To left of centre, C20 fluted doorcase contains part glazed double doors beneath divided overlight. Further left, C20 windows are small paned with top-hung lights in surrounds similar to doorcase. Between windows, two jowled posts and lintel survive from blocked original door. Partly restored wall plate visible above these openings. To right of centre, C20 6-panel door beneath blocked divided overlight in early C19 doorcase of grooved pilasters with damaged flat hood on brackets. Flanking windows are mid C19 shop windows of 4 large panes with moulded timber sills, in grooved pilaster frames with plain frieze and moulded cornice on grooved brackets. On first floor, two left bays have oriel windows, the left one with early C19 small-pane sashes, the right one with C20 casements; bays to right have early C19 16-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: all fireplaces removed but early chimney flues survive at rear of end left bay and right of centre bay. Traces of jowled posts and curved braces detectable on first floor. Roof: 4 crown post trusses with curved raking struts visible, with fifth truss said to survive, embedded in right end wall: this is one of the most complete crown post roofs to survive in York. Walls at attic level are largely of wattle and daub. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 88-89).
Listing NGR: SE5981551527
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, Nos. 99, 101, 103, 105, 107, 109, comprise a two-storey range of seven timber-framed tenements with a frontage to Micklegate of nearly 100 ft., and to the rear of Nos. 107 and 109 three buildings of the 15th, 17th and 19th centuries, known collectively as No. 111 (Figs. 60, 61). [The adjacent Nos. 105, 107, 109 are adjacent but are not included in the listing and thus have been edited out of the following text.] The front range, Nos. 99–109, was built in the mid or late 14th century, probably before 1369, the N.E. House, No. 99, standing against the nowvanished 13th-century gateway to Holy Trinity Priory (see p. 12, Fig. 27). These tenements were combined and divided in various combinations at different periods. Nos. 99, 101 and 103 had attics inserted in the 17th century, and No. 103 was refronted in brick in the middle of the 18th century by a member of the Greenup family.
Nos. 99, 101 now form a single shop, but were originally two separate tenements. The front retains its original jetty, but is otherwise remodelled. In 1958 the back wall was rebuilt in brick and the gabled E. End cloaked by a brick skin (Plate 49).
The ground floor retains traces of timber-framing, and the W. Room (No. 101) has an 18th-century plaster cornice. The central through passage and staircase are of 19th-century date. On the first floor the E. Room has had its inserted attic floor removed, and much of the timber-framing is visible. The roof-trusses are of crown-post construction with archaic features. At the back of No. 101 is a 19th-century brick addition.
No. 103, The Coach and Horses, comprises two of the original tenements and has a 17th-century block added at the rear. The front wall was rebuilt in brick (now rough-cast) in the mid 18th century and retains the first-floor sash windows of that date. The back was also rebuilt in brick in the 18th century; it has been considerably altered.
The ground floor has been extensively modernised internally, but on the first floor some of the timber framing is visible, and the E. Room has a late 18th-century hob grate. In the attic the central and E. Roof-trusses are visible, the W. One being mostly masked by wattle and daub. In the E. Truss the crown post tapers evenly from top to bottom (Plate 50), but in the central truss it has the usual enlarged head (Plate 49). Both trusses are of the same type as in Nos. 99 and 101.
Information derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 87
Information from the NMR
Four tenements from row of seven; now a public house. Mid-14th century; No.101 has a 19th century rear wing, No.103 a 17th century rear wing. Refronted in the mid-18th and 20th century; early 19th and 20th century alteration. Remainder of row demolished in 1961. Originally built for Holy Trinity Priory.
Plan: each tenement originally 1 bay wide, 1 bay deep. Crown post roof. Exterior: 2-storey 4-bay jettied front.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060834 99-101 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 12 2020 5:07PM