Building record MYO1188 - 112 Micklegate

Summary

A timber-framed house, now restaurant. Early 16th century, partly rebuilt and refronted in 1745-48; refenestrated, including shopfronts, 1860-70. It was the ancient property of the Vicars Choral of York Minster. Also known as The Red Lion Public House.

Location

Grid reference SE 5981 5155 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

House, now restaurant. Early C16, partly rebuilt and refronted in 1745-48; refenestrated, including shopfronts, 1860-70. Timber-framed, refronted in painted brick in Flemish bond; timber eaves band and cornice to hipped slate roof with scrolled corner brackets, with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front. Shopfront of painted brick antae with moulded imposts, coved fascia with flat capping between grooved brackets crowned with semicircular gablets; C20 glazed door to left of plate glass window over panelled riser. On first floor, canted bay window of 5 arched lights on colonnette shafts, over band of moulded roundels; moulded frieze and dentilled and scalloped cornice. 4-pane sash window on second floor. 3-course raised brick band at second floor level.

INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record exposed timber-framing with braced posts: original roof survives intact except for the loss of the front truss when the roof was hipped in C18. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 92).
Listing NGR: SE5980351570

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 112, until recently the Red Lion public house, was built in the 16th century as a timber-framed structure with a gable to Micklegate, possibly jettied. In the 18th century it was refronted with brick and the roof hipped back; c. 1860–70 the front was refenestrated, with a large shop window to ground floor, a bay window to first floor and one sash replacing two above. This was an ancient property of the Vicars Choral of York Minster and the leases show that it was partly rebuilt between 1745 and 1748 (York Minster Library, Sub-Chanter's Book 3, 75).

The house is of three storeys, built in two bays with a chimney against the back wall. Some of the timber framing is exposed inside, with curved braces rising from the posts to rails and wall-plates.

The original roof is almost intact. The truss to N. has principal rafters and a straight tie-beam; curved struts from tie to rafters support the purlins. The central truss is carried on great posts, their heads not enlarged, supporting a markedly cambered tie-beam; curved braces from each post support the tie-beam. The principals are connected by a collar; from the tie curved braces, morticed into the collar, support purlins under the principals. The S. truss vanished when the roof was hipped, but a good series of common rafters remains, all with collars.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 91

This 3 storeyed building is probably originally of the 16th century date and is a grade 2 Listed Building. The frontage to Micklegate is 3 storeys, timber-framed, built in 2 bays, with a fireplace and chimney located on the rear internal wall.

The street elevation is now clad in painted brickwork but much of the original timber framing is exposed and visible internally, with curved braces fixed to the heads of the vertical frames connecting to the original oak rails and wall plates. To the rear of the original 3 storey timber frames structure is a two storey load-bearing brick building with a blue slate pitched roof of a much more recent date. The original roof gable truss fronting Micklegate was removed during past alteration works when a slated hipped roof was inserted on the Micklegate frontage. However, the remaining truss to the rear is almost intact, with impressive principal rafters, straight tie beam and curved struts.
Derived from the Design and Access Statement of Application 16/02313/LBC – Added 6/4/2017

NMR Information

A timber-framed house, now restaurant. Early 16th century, partly rebuilt and refronted in 1745-48; refenestrated, including shopfronts, 1860-70. Exterior: 3-storey 1-window front.

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060840 112 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Trinity Services, 2016, 112 Micklegate - Design and Access Statement (Typescript). SYO1958.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Typescript: Trinity Services. 2016. 112 Micklegate - Design and Access Statement.
  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 11 2020 2:24PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.