Building record MYO1193 - 67 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5992 5160 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House. Mid C16, refronted and altered in early C18; early C19 parapet and extension; C20 shopfront.
MATERIALS: original building timber-framed; front of brick, some in stretcher bond, some Flemish bond, now painted; stone coped parapet to pantile roof with brick stacks. Originally L-shaped on plan, with front range of 2 unequal bays, 2-bays deep, and short rear wing at right rear; rear wing extended and angle between wing and front range infilled.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront of reeded pilasters and cornice with glazed door recessed between half-canted plate glass windows. 12-pane sash windows on first floor; two windows only on second floor, 16-pane sash to right and 12-pane sash to left: 12-pane sashes have exposed box frames and heavy glazing bars. All windows have flat arches and painted stone sills. 3-course raised band to second floor. At right end of parapet, inverted bell shaped rainwater head dated 1763, with fall pipe on rosette clamps. Rear: wing of 2 storeys and attic.
INTERIOR: part of early C18 front staircase survives on ground floor, with close string, turned balusters and flat, moulded handrail. In rear extension, small round-headed window to back staircase survives. In first floor front room, cross beam and two spine beams are exposed; original floor joists, underdrawn in front room, are visible beyond C20 partition. Part of original studded rear wall visible on landing. In rear extension, two rooms have duck-nest firegrates, one in painted stone fireplace with moulded architrave, plain frieze and moulded mantelshelf. Lower flight of back staircase to attic removed but dado rail moulded with bead and reel motif survives; upper flight partly boarded-in. Second floor of front range divided by studded partition wall probably retaining original infilling beneath cross beam, and incorporating board door adjacent to front wall. In studded wall at rear of larger room, corner posts with jowled heads are visible, and blocked 2-light window. Spine beams are exposed in both rooms, and smaller room has exposed ceiling joists. In larger room, fireplace with cambered brick arch exposed behind later chimneypiece with reeded jambs, plain frieze and moulded shelf, contains late C18 oven and grate. Embedded in rear wall of front staircase, half a kerb principal roof truss is visible: second half visible in attic of rear wing behind chimney stack. In rear extension, upper flight of back staircase with stick balusters, square newels and shaped handrail is retained. Rear wing and extension reroofed with collar trusses.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79).
Listing NGR: SE5992351607
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 67 was originally a three-storey timber-framed structure of two bays, probably of the 16th or 17th century, with two gables towards the street. Early in the 18th century it was rebuilt in brick with a new roof parallel to the street, but some of the original structural timbers remain inside. The fenestration of the top floor was altered later, and the front of the ground floor has been removed to insert a new shop front, which forms a unified composition with Nos. 69 and 71 adjoining. The interior has been much altered, and there are later additions to the rear of early 19th-century date. This was probably a butcher's shop for a long period: the successive occupiers William Hill (from before 1798), Chamberlain of York 1807, and Peter Armistead, Chamberlain 1823, belonged to that trade (YCA, E.96, f. 105; E.97, f. 143v.; Rate Books; Directories). On the street front the windows have exposed box frames and heavy glazing bars. A rainwater head is dated 1763
Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 79. Monument 71.
Information from the NMR
67 Micklegate: house. Mid-16th century timber-framed building, refronted and altered in early 18th century; early 19th century parapet and extension; 20th century shopfront. Exterior: 3-storey 3-window front. Originally L-shaped on plan, with front range of 2 unequal bays, 2-bays deep, and short rear wing at right rear; rear wing extended and angle between wing and front range infilled.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060817 67 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2020 5:02PM