Building record MYO1199 - 77-79 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5990 5159 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House. c1790, with mid C19 alteration and C20 shopfront. Front of stucco incised to resemble ashlar; rear of orange-red brick in stretcher bond; timber modillion cornice to hipped slate roof with scrolled corner brackets and brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 3 bays on both fronts of corner site. Shopfront on Micklegate, retaining earlier cornice, returns along Trinity Lane, with canted corner door, approached by shaped stone step. At left end of Micklegate front, upstairs door of 6 fielded panels beneath overlight, approached by stone steps, recessed in doorcase of narrow pilasters with triglyph frieze and moulded cornice hood on fluted console brackets. Upper floors of both fronts have blind openings in centre, flanked by 4-pane sashes, all beneath incised wedge lintels. Sill bands to both floors and raised second floor band return on Trinity Lane front.
INTERIOR: ground floor: moulded cornice to entrance hall; round arch to staircase hall, on pilaster responds with fluted keyblock and imposts. Open string staircase with shaped treadends, slender turned balusters and ramped-up moulded handrail rises from ground floor to attic. Original fireplaces with cast-iron grates survive throughout. In attic, one plank and muntin partition wall survives. No.79 listed on 01/07/68. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE5990451598
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 77, was built probably in c. 1790. It is of three storeys with attics. A shop was inserted during the mid 19th century, at which time the N. and W. elevations were faced with stucco and the windows reglazed. Until 1827 the house was occupied by the owner, Mr. Carrack, but it was afterwards let to Robert Carr, a druggist (Rate Books; Directories).
The street front has broad bands and continuous window sills at first and second-floor levels, the stucco facing of the zones equal to the full height of the windows being rusticated. The rustication continues across the blind central windows. At the wallhead is a simple modillion cornice, typical of the late 18th century. On the ground floor, to the E. of the shop front, an entrance doorway has an original door-case, tall and slender, with narrow pilasters and console brackets supporting a cornice with a frieze enriched with triple flutings; it has a rectangular fanlight.
The W. elevation to Trinity Lane has bands carried round from those of the main front; the arrangement of windows, open and blocked, is also repeated.
Inside, the ground floor has been converted to a shop, and the partition between the entrance passage to the E. and the adjoining room has been removed. The round-headed archway to the small stair hall, formerly from the passage, has simple pilaster-responds with moulded caps. The Staircase, which is directly opposite the entrance, has slender turned softwood balusters, two to a tread, simple shaped cheek pieces to the risers, and a thin moulded handrail swept up to each angle. It is top-lit.
The Saloon at the front on the first floor extends the whole width of the house. This and the rooms on the second floor contain a number of simple original fittings.
Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 81. Monument 77.
SYO2273 YAT Building Recording
The property at 77-79 Micklegate has seen numerous alterations since its construction in
c.1790, predominantly in the conversion of the ground floor from residential to commercial use.
During the stripping of the ground floor rooms and the removal of the lath-and-plaster ceiling features associated with the original construction, particularly skirting boards, exposed brick work and the remains of a fireplace, were exposed as well as the alignment of an original dividing wall.
Please Note: Micklegate may have been renumbered some time after 1913. Holy Trinity Church is next to No 79 which is shown as No 31 on the 1901 census. When deciding who owned and worked at a property one needs to bear in mind the renumbering. The 1921 census will hopfully give an accurate reflection of the numbering.
NMR Source 613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060823 77 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse, p81 (Monograph). SYO64.
York Archaeological Trust, 2019, 77-79 Micklegate BR (Unpublished document). SYO2273.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2021 8:25AM