Building record MYO1214 - 61 Micklegate

Summary

Town house built c1786, with mid-19th century alteration and extension. Exterior: basement and 3 storeys; 3-window front.

Location

Grid reference SE 5993 5161 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Town house. c1786, with mid C19 alteration and extension. Red brick in Flemish bond on painted stone plinth; dressings of orange-red gauged brick and painted stone; doorcases and moulded cornice of timber; brick stacks to hipped slate roof.

EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 3-window front. Shuttered basement opening in plinth. Towards right end, panelled pilaster doorcase with frieze and bracketed cornice, and 6-panel door beneath plain fanlight recessed in panelled reveal. Rear access door of 6 sunk panels beneath overlight at right end. All windows are 1-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, except for 12-pane sash at right end of first floor, and blind 9-pane sash in centre of second floor. Ground and first floor windows have sill bands, and second floor windows painted stone sills. Raised first floor band.

INTERIOR: basement: brick vaulted cellars, with kitchen range in back room. Ground floor: moulded and keyed round arch on panelled pilasters with moulded imposts and bases, now blocked by 6-panel door in later architrave, leads to stairhall. Main staircase, cantilevered around circular well, has shaped stone treads and cast-iron hollow-sided stick balusters with swept handrail. Cantilevered secondary staircase with stone treads and cast-iron handrail rises to attic around oval well. Front room retains fireplace enriched with applied composition wheatear drops and rinceaux and moulded fluted mantelshelf: to rear, semicircular niche beneath keyed moulded round arch on fluted pilasters with moulded imposts. First floor: 6-panel door on landing, beneath round arch of moulded voussoirs on plain shallow pilasters with imposts extended as moulded band: moulded ceiling cornice. Front room has C19 fireplace with mantelshelf on heavy carved consoles, between round-arched alcoves with mutilated architraves. Second floor: moulded cornice to stairwell roof light. In rear left room, plain moulded fireplace with hob grate. The house was the residence of Dr WA Evelyn, noted physician and antiquary, from 1894.

(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79; City Archives: No.61 Micklegate).
Listing NGR: SE5993751615

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 61, must have been built late in the 18th century; the three-bay front and the plan, with staircase placed transversely between front and back rooms, are typical (cf. Adjoining house, Nos. 57, 59, dated 1783). An unusual feature is the placing of the service passage adjacent and parallel to the entrance passage. Later alterations include a mid 19th-century surround to the front door, and a large single-storey extension to S. The property was occupied by George Telford (1749–1834), of the family of York nurserymen, from 1786 until 1809 (York Courant, 12 Dec. 1786; 13 March 1809), and the freehold descended to his grandson Colonel Charles Telford, J.P., who lived in the house from 1876 to his death in 1894, when it was bought by Dr. W. A. Evelyn, physician and antiquary.

The staircase has cantilevered stone treads, shaped on the underside, square balusters with hollow faces, and is lit by a lantern in the roof. In the front room on the ground floor is an original fireplace with applied decoration.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp.79. Monument 70

Information derived from York Conservation Trust

Acquired by the Trust in 1993 and had a dilapidated, flat roofed, single storey extension to the rear which was demolished by the Trust in 1997 and replaced by a single storey brick extension, more in keeping with the original property.

NMR Information
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060814 61 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 7 2020 4:35PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.