Building record MYO1259 - 67 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6036 5204 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: No.43 LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop. Late C14 origins, with rear extension c1600; mid C19 alteration and shopfront; renovated 1955. Timber-framed, stuccoed at front; pantile roof.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-bay front, with jettied first and second floors. Bowed shop window with small-pane glazing and moulded sill: to left, small-pane glazed and panelled shop door. First and second floor windows are Yorkshire sashes, of 2- and 4-pane lights on first floor, 3x2-pane lights on second floor.
INTERIOR: timber-frame exposed on ground floor.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 194-5).Listing NGR: SE6035652044
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 67, of three storeys, is probably of late 14th-century date. It represents a surviving internal bay of a house of three or more bays roofed parallel with the street and extending to both SE and NW A two storeyed extension was added at the rear c. 1600, and later in the 17th century brick chimney stacks were inserted in both ranges. Considerable alteration and rebuilding took place in the 19th century, and the whole building was renovated in 1955, when the chimney-stacks were removed.
On the N.E. Front the upper two storeys are jettied, but the studding and bracing were removed in the 19th century. On the ground floor is a bowed shop window; above are Yorkshire sashes. In the front range the joists carryingthe jetties do not extend to the back wall, but are housed in substantial spine-beams; that carrying the second-floor joists has recently been removed, revealing the double-tenon construction. The S.W. Wall has been considerably mutilated and the N.W. wall wholly rebuilt, probably not on its original alignment. The original framing of the S.E. wall remains intact. On the ground and first floors some of the original framing of the next bay to S.E. can be seen from the back range. The roof truss to the S.E. wall, the only one to survive, is of crown-post construction with collared rafters. The crown-post is flanked by cross-bracing acrrying side-purlins; it has no enlargement to the head and no collar-purlin is visible.
The extension at the rear, now under a pent roof, is only one room in depth, and has been much altered. On the ground floor some moulded ceiling beams remain.
Monument 360. 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 194. London: RCHME
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061036 67 LOW PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 2:27PM