Building record MYO1274 - 54 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6035 5207 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- HOUSE (Built early C18, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1700 AD to 1732 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered late C18, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- HOUSE (Built c1785, Mid C18 to Early C19 - 1765 AD to 1805 AD)
- HOUSE (C19 addition, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOTEL (Now, Undated)
- HOTEL (C20 change of use, Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
Two houses, now hotel. First house early C18, altered and rear wing added in late C18; second house c1785 with C19 wing. Second house built for Thomas Brook, already occupying the first.
MATERIALS: orange brick front in Flemish bond on painted stone plinth to both houses; timber doorcases and cornice; slate roof to first house, hipped tiled roof to second one: brick stacks. Wing to first house of orange-brown brick in stretcher bond with tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front to first house to left; 1-window front to later house. Each house has doorcase with narrow pilaster jambs, fluted impost band and flat hood on attenuated grooved brackets: doors are of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath fanlights with glazing bars. Both houses have 1-pane sashes beneath painted full-width fascia board on ground floor.
First house has 12-pane sashes on first floor, 4-pane sashes on second floor: later house has 16-pane sash on first floor, squat 6-pane sash on second floor: all have flat arches of gauged brick. All windows have painted stone sills. First house has 3-course raised brick bands to first and second floors. Common dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice with initialled inverted bell rainwater head between houses.
Rear: first house has narrow 2-storey staircase window with glazing bars; unequal 15-pane sash on first floor, 16-pane sash on second floor, both with segmental arches. Wing is of 2 storeys, gabled at rear, with 12-pane sash window on first floor. Second house has 16-pane sash on first floor, 12-pane sash on second floor, both with segmental arches. Continuous console cornice to eaves of both houses.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records some late C18 fittings including the first flight of the staircase; the upper flights are early C18 with turned balusters, a close moulded string and heavy handrail.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 187). Listing NGR: SE6035552079
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(341) House, No. 54 , of three storeys with cellar and attic, was built in the second quarter of the 18th century. A wing was added at the back and the house was refurbished in parts in the late 18th century, at the same time as the adjacent house to S.E. (342) was built. Both houses were then occupied by Thomas Brook.
The front elevation, of brick in Flemish bond, has on the ground floor a late 18th-century door-case with thin pilasters and attenuated brackets supporting a flat hood, and two modern hung-sash windows, the arches of which are hidden by a band of timber which continues across the house to S.E. The first-floor windows have also been modified and the sills lowered; they have flat arches of gauged bricks, which are repeated over those on the second floor. There is a three-course plat-band at first-floor level and another band with oversailing courses at second-floor level. The late 18th-century modillioned and dentilled cornice continues across the house to S.E. On the rear elevation all openings have been modified; these originally had three-centred arched heads. The tall staircase window extends over three half-landings.
Inside, there were two main rooms on the ground floor, two on the first, where the saloon with late 18th-century fittings occupied the full width of the building, and three on the second and attic floors. Some partitions have been inserted and the house now intercommunicates with the house to S.E. The staircase, which rises the full height of the house, occupies the back N.E. quarter. It has an open string and balusters of a late 18th-century pattern with urn-shaped features below the square knop to the first floor but from the first floor upwards the original staircase, with close moulded string and heavy handrail, survives.
(342) House, to S.E. of No. 54 (Plate 6), three-storeyed, single-fronted, and of late 18th-century date, was described in 1786 as 'now taken down and rebuilt' (YML, W2). It was built by Thomas Brook and occupied by him in addition to his dwelling house, No. 54. The eaves cornice is continuous with that of No. 54, and the door-case to the entrance is uniform with that of No. 54. The plan is a common one, with an entrance passage at the S.E. side, a room at the front and one at the back, and a top-lit staircase rising parallel to the street between the chimney-flue walls of the rooms. A wing was added at the back in the second half of the 19th century and the back room on the first floor was partitioned to make a passage to the wing. The house now intercommunicates with No. 54.
Monument 341-342.City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 187
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061027 GALTRES LODGE HOTEL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 3:34PM