Building record MYO1310 - 8 Lendal


A house dating from the second quarter of the 19th century, now in use as a shop.


Grid reference SE 6007 5197 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

House, now bank and offices. c1840 incorporating remains of C17 house; C20 modernisation, alteration and shopfront.

MATERIALS: front of orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond: right return ground floor of rusticated red brickwork on chamfered stone plinth, first floor of red brick in random bond, and second floor as front, in stretcher bond: timber shopfront. Slate roof hipped at front, gabled at rear, with wrought-iron corner scrolls.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front. Pilastered shopfront with plate glass windows returns to right. First floor window is 3-light canted bay with central segment-headed 4-pane sash flanked by two pane sashes beneath dentilled cornice. Two 4-pane sash windows with painted stone sills on second floor. Rear: gabled, with C20 2-light windows on each visible floor.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 155).
Listing NGR: SE6007051966

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 8, which stands on part of the site of the Augustinian Friary (21), is narrow, three-storeyed, and mainly of the second quarter of the 19th century but incorporates remains of the 17th-century Lendal House, which was occupied by Sir Richard Osbaldeston and later by Sir Thomas Widdrington, Recorder (died 1664), and then by Sir Thomas Rokeby (Davies, 45). In 1704 it was bought by Thomas Barstow and part of it remained in his family's possession for a hundred years, but part was apparently sold to Alderman Baines soon after 1704 (see Nos. 10, 12, 14). The ground floor has been modernised for a shop.

The 17th-century remains are of two lofty storeys. The side wall to N.W., which fronts onto an alleyway, has the lower part faced with boldly rusticated brickwork. An original chimney between front and back rooms was removed c. 1950; heavy stop-chamfered beams and plain floor joists remain. The roof includes 17th-century timbers, reset.

Monument 252; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 155

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060746 8 LENDAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 19 2020 2:29PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.