Building record MYO1335 - THE KINGS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Summary

An early 17th building, converted to a public house in the 19th century,partly rebuilt and extended in 1898 and modernised in 1973-4. Rebuilding of 1898 by Thomas Winn for Samuel Smith's Brewery. The building is of 2-storey with a 3-bay front, the upper storey jettied is on adjacent fronts to King's Staith and King Street. Formerly known as the Ousebridge Inn.

Location

Grid reference SE 6026 5161 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Public house. Early C17; partly rebuilt and extended 1898; modernised 1973-4. Rebuilding of 1898 by Thomas Winn for Samuel Smith's Brewery. MATERIALS: front range rough-cast and whitewashed, with moulded cornice to sprocketed eaves and replica timber-framing on gable walls; slate roof at front, pantile at rear, with pierced cresting and barge-boarded gables. Wing rough-cast and white-washed, with slate roof, and moulded timber eaves cornice with scrolled wrought-iron brackets. Three stacks, two brick, one rendered. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay front, upper storey jettied on adjacent fronts to King's Staith and King Street. Original entrance to King's Staith now blocked by 2-light small-pane casement window. Flanking windows are similar, of 3-lights, and all have chamfered sills and lintels of painted stone. First floor windows are 2 x 4-pane lights in architraves with moulded sills. Lintel of ground floor centre window relief carved with date 1898 and initials SS. Moulded jetty plate to front and right return with dragon beam at corner. Entrance is C20 door in moulded surround in left return. Right return: 2-storey 2-window wing to right of jettied gable wall. Gable wall has 1-light first floor window with moulded sill, and 2-light attic window. In wing, ground floor window is 3-light casement with moulded sill and glass embossed with Art Nouveau motifs and 'OUSEBRIDGE INN' and 'SMOKE ROOM'. First floor windows are of 2 and 3 lights with plain sills, and upper floor has shaped panels of applied timber-framing. Windows in wing have moulded cornice hoods. INTERIOR: not inspected. The inn was known as the 'Ousebridge' between 1898 and 1974. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 151).
Listing NGR: SE6026851619

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

No further description provided.

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 19 2019 4:51PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.