Building record MYO1339 - GUINNESS BAR IN THE OLD GRANDSTAND AT YORK RACECOURSE

Summary

Part of the grandstand at Knavesmire Racecourse, built in 1755 by John Carr and later demolished. The lower storey, comprising 9 arcaded bays on a stone plinth, was later reconstructed in the paddock in c.1920. It is now used as a bar.

Location

Grid reference SE 5966 4990 (point)
Map sheet SE54NE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Grandstand, now bar. 1755; demolished and partly reconstructed c1920. By John Carr. Orange brick in English bond with dressings of ashlar sandstone: roof not visible. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 9-bay front on moulded stone plinth: centre and end bays are faced with rusticated stone and break forward; centre bay is pedimented. Bays are arcaded, the end and centre ones with round arches of radiating voussoirs, elsewhere rubbed brick arches with stone impost band. Each arch has a C20 canopy over. Moulded stone eaves cornice beneath balustraded parapet of bulbous balusters with plain stone piers and moulded coping. Rear: 1 storey 9 bays, on brick plinth. Outer and centre bays are blind; elsewhere blind arcaded beneath stepped brick cornice and plain parapet with flat stone coping. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: this is all that remains of one of the most impressive C18 Grandstands in England. (Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 24; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 50).
Listing NGR: SE5966049908

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

(SE 59664990) Knavesmire Racecourse Grandstand, built in 1755-6 to the design of John Carr and originally of two storeys, was removed from its original site before 1925. The lower storey only has been rebuilt in the Paddock. (1)

YORK RACECOURSE
5343 Knavesmire
14.6.54 The Old Grandstand
SE 54 NE 3/55 Grade II*
1755-6. Designed by John Carr. Originally of 2 storeys. The lower arcade of 9 arches has been moved from the original site and re-erected in the paddock. It is built of brick with stone imposts. The end arches and the pedimented central arch are faced with rusticated stone. Stone eaves cornice and roof balustrade.
(RCHM Vol III, Monument 23). (2)

1 An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of York. Volume III: south-west of the Ouse 50-1 RCHM City of York 3 1972 50-1 map Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, England
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest DOE(HHR) City of York, N. York June 1983, 364.

Related event: INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY. Architectural Survey. 14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995


Purcell Miller Triton LLP, 2017, YORK RACECOURSE CLOCK TOWER AND INDICATOR BOARD HER ST (Unpublished document). SYO2016.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: Purcell Miller Triton LLP. 2017. YORK RACECOURSE CLOCK TOWER AND INDICATOR BOARD HER ST.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 5 2019 3:09PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.