Building record MYO1353 - GRANGE HOUSE

Summary

Workhouse offices built in 1848-9 with contemporary extension and later bay windows, designed by John and William Atkinson. Part of St Mary's Hospital, converted into student flats in 1994. The exterior has a 3-storey, 9-bay front, with 2-bay extension to the lef. The outer angles are pilastered, the original end bays break forward and have canted bay windows on the ground floor.

Location

Grid reference SE 6085 5304 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Workhouse offices; now student flats. 1848-49 with contemporary extension and later bay windows; renovated 1994. Architects JB and W Atkinson. MATERIALS: orange-cream brick in English garden wall and stretcher bonds on brick plinth; bay windows in orange brick with sandstone plinth and dressings. Shallow pitched hipped slate roofs with widely overhanging eaves, on shaped timber brackets in centre front. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 9-bay front, with 2-bay extension at left end. Outer angles are pilastered; original end bays break forward and have canted bay windows on ground floor. In centre of original front is round-arched doorcase of 2 orders with recessed glazed door and semicircular fanlight. Three windows on each side are recessed radial glazed sashes beneath arcaded round arches with stone impost band. Canted bays have three similar sash windows recessed in triple keyed orange brick arches and moulded cornices beneath plain parapets with moulded stone copings. First floor windows are cambered headed 12-pane sashes, centre one in pedimented moulded brick surround with stone sill and brick apron; others have segmental brick arches with stone impost band and sill band. All second floor windows are squat 12-pane sashes with flat brick arches and painted stone sill band broken by pilaster strips. Windows in extension conform with equivalents elsewhere. Rear: 3 storeys, 11 bays, with 1- and 2-storey projections at each end linked by 1-storey glasshouse. Glazed double doors in centre of glasshouse and 4-panel glazed and panelled door at right end: other ground floor openings are sash windows of various types. Projection to right has Venetian staircase sash window on first floor. Otherwise first and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes, those on second floor squat, except where altered or inserted. Windows on first floor have segmental brick arches, on second floor cambered arches. Returns: windows on each floor correspond with those on main front. INTERIOR: staircase known to have close strings, turned bobbin balusters and plain handrail on square newels with ball finials. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 51).
Listing NGR: SE6085453041

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR:

Workhouse offices built in 1848-9 with contemporary extension and later bay windows, designed by John and William Atkinson. Part of St Mary's Hospital, converted into student flats in 1994. The exterior has a 3-storey, 9-bay front, with 2-bay extension to the lef. The outer angles are pilastered, the original end bays break forward and have canted bay windows on the ground floor.

The Workhouse: a study of Poor Law Buildings in England 95,133,159,181,212 Kathryn Morrison
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of York, 14-MAR-1997


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Sep 12 2019 4:22PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.