Building record MYO1356 - Rockingham House, 16 Jewbury

Summary

House of 1792, converted to a nurses training school in the C20. Now offices

Location

Grid reference SE 6068 5218 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

House, now offices. 1792; bay windows reconstructed 1971. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. Slate roof.

EXTERIOR: symmetrical, of 3 storeys and 3 bays. Facade has ground and 1st floor sill bands, and a storey band above the ground floor. The windows are glazing bar sashes. The outer bays have 2-storey brick bows with 3 curved glazing bar sashes on each floor. The other windows have brick flat arches. The doorway has external steps and a doorcase with engaged Tuscan columns, fluted frieze blocks, an open pediment, and a fanlight. Above is a wrought-iron lantern bracket. The door has 6 sunken panels. The gables are coped and have chimneys.

INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records entrance hall with arcaded walls, stone staircase with cast-iron balustrades, and original 6-panel doors throughout.

(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 80).
Listing NGR: SE6069052186

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Rockingham House, No. 25, was erected by James Lamb in 1792 (YML, Subchanters Bk. iv, 77, No. 102, 268); it now forms part of a training school for nurses for the County Hospital. The house is of three storeys and basement and has a symmetrical front with stone bands and two-storey bay windows on each side of the entrance, which has engaged Doric columns, reeded frieze blocks, and open pediment. The bay windows were reconstructed 1971.

The central entrance hall has arcaded walls; to the N.W. is a through room with bow windows to front and back; to the S.E. a smaller room with a staircase behind completes the plan of the original house, except for a small closet projection at the back. The staircase has stone steps and simple, hollow-sided, iron balusters. On the first floor in the N.W. room the plain arcading of the entrance hall is repeated in the two long walls. Doors throughout the house have six panels, fielded on one side and decorated with planted or attached mouldings on the other.

'Houses: Hull Road-Malton Road', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (London, 1975), pp. 80-84. Monument 205

NMR Information

BF060717 ROCKINGHAM HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1975. RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Nov 10 2020 4:11PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.