Building record MYO1357 - 4 Jubbergate
|Grid reference||SE 6041 5187 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
House. Late C14 with early C17 crosswing extension; extensively restored 1928, including re-roofing and partial rebuilding and extension to rear of C17 wing. Restoration by Brierley and Rutherford. Both parts timber-framed; ground floor rebuilt in red herringbone brick and rear of wing in red-grey mottled brick in English bond; upper floors plastered and white-washed; tiled roofs with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: C14 block has 2-storey, 2-bay front, with gabled roof dormer and first floor jettied on adjacent sides; to right, C17 gabled crosswing of 2 storeys and attic, 1 bay, first floor jettied on adjacent sides, attic jettied at front. Framing exposed on all floors, that on ground floor mostly renewed except for dragon posts, that on upper floors largely original. C14 block has glazed and panelled door flanked by small-pane canted bay windows over sunk panelled risers, and two 2-light windows on first floor.
C17 block has four windows of 2 or 3 lights on ground floor: on first floor, 3-light oriel window with 16-pane centre sash, flanked by small 2-light windows; 3-light window in attic gable. Good wrought-iron bracket at left end of attic jetty. Right return: 2-storey front of 2 unequal bays, with two parallel gabled crosswings to right, of 2 storeys and attics, and irregular fenestration. End crosswing has panelled door in 4-centred opening, and 1- and 2-light windows with tiled sills between upper floors. Windows elsewhere repeat those of main fronts, all with square- or diamond-paned leaded lights. Embattled rainwater head dated 1928 at eaves level of end crosswing.
INTERIOR: original timber-framing and studding survive substantially in all parts of the building, including dragon beams in ground floor ceilings. At rear of left bay of C14 part is reset cast-iron fireplace. On first floor, C17 wing has moulded plaster cornice to ceiling and transverse beam; reset cast-iron range in fireplace. In C17 attic, front room has early C20 cast-iron fire grate in C19 surround, rear room retains chamfered 4-centred fireplace arch. An interesting example of early C20 restoration, by the important local architects Brierley and Rutherford.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 149). Listing NGR: SE6041251873
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(240) White Rose Cafe is now a free-standing building in the market place, though the position was originally, before the destruction of the adjoining properties, at the end of Jubbergate at the junction with Newgate and Little Shambles. It is of timber-framed construction, two-storeyed with attics, and formed of two originally distinct structures. The N.W. block, at the corner of Newgate, with a pantiled roof, was built in the 14th century as a two-bay range spanning 18 ft. The upper floor is jettied on the N.W. and S.W. sides and supported at the angle by a large dragon-post which is actually formed of two pieces, post and bracket, jointed together. The framing is of widely-spaced studs and is characterised by concaveshaped downward braces on the first floor, with additional straight, upward braces on the gable-end wall. The first-floor posts do not have jowled heads and the intermediate one on the S.W. wall has two blocked mortices for braces up and down, suggesting an original internal partition below the central truss. The N.E. wall is a modern reconstruction. An attic floor was inserted later and the roof construction is modern with no evidence of the original form.
The S.E. block, roofed with plain tiles, was built in the early 17th century and itself consists of two parts which may not be exactly contemporary. The larger one is a two-bay range with a span of 20 ft. and has distinctly higher floor levels than the earlier block; the first floor is jettied on the S.E. and S.W. sides and the gable also to the S.W. The attic floor is original and there is a cellar. To the N.E. and placed transversely is a narrow range with a span of 11 ft. and which is three full storeys high. It consists of three unequal bays and contains a modern staircase in a position where original floor joists have clearly been removed; the N.E. and S.E. walls of this part are of modern brick. The 17th-century framing is of fairly closely-spaced thin studs and has long straight, downward braces, sparingly used. The roof construction is not visible internally but clasped-purlins can be seen on the gable-ends. A large brick chimney-stack had fireplaces to each side, serving both ranges of the S.E. block on all floors, but the only original one visible is in the attic, with a plain chamfered four-centred arch. The whole building was extensively restored in 1928–33 (Brierley and Rutherford, architects) when many timbers were trimmed or replaced with new work; all the windows are modern and also the internal fittings, though a plaster cornice in 18th-century style in the large first-floor S.E. room may have an original basis.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 149
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060718 WHITE ROSE CAFE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
People and Organisations
Architect Brierley and Rutherford of York 1928
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2020 4:37PM