Building record MYO1404 - 4 High Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6014 5223 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: No.109 HIGH PETERGATE. House, now hotel. 1782, with later alteration and extension. Probably by Peter Atkinson, senior, for Joseph Horner. Orange-brown brick, front and right return of Flemish bond, random bond elsewhere; timber doorcase and cornice: double span roof, hipped at right, the front of slate, rear of plain tile; brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and basement; 2-window front. Fluted pilaster doorcase at right end beneath open pediment enriched with festoons, drops and other mouldings; 3 steps lead to 6-panel door and radial fanlight over fluted transom. To left, iron grilles cover two cellar windows with 1-course segmental brick arches. On ground, first and second floors, windows are 12-pane sashes: on third floor, 2x1-pane casements. Ground and first floor windows have painted stone sill bands, those on second and third floors narrow painted sills: all have gauged brick arches except those on third floor which are rendered. Raised first floor band. Modillioned eaves cornice continues over right return as brick dentil cornice: at left end, inverted bell rainwater head dated 1782, initialled JH. Rear: 4-storey 2-bay front. Ground floor obscured by extension; first and second floors have 12-pane sashes, third floor 2x1-pane casement windows: all have rendered wedge lintels. Brick dentil eaves cornice.
INTERIOR: ground floor: round arches on pilasters with imposts separate stairhall. Top-lit staircase rises to attic having open strings, slender turned balusters, shaped treadends and flat moulded and ramped handrail. On first and second floors, landings and subdivided front rooms retain simple moulded cornices.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 180). Listing NGR: SE6014252234
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 4, of four storeys and single-fronted, was built in 1782 by Joseph Horner of Masham, butter factor. An earlier house on this site was sold in 1743 by Samuel Towell of Cawood, bricklayer, to William Gibson of York, gardener. Horner bought the property in 1782 and a deed of 1786 refers to the demolition of the earlier property. The house bears the date 1782 on a rainwater head; the elevation has features in common with No. 18 Blake Street, which was designed by Peter Atkinson senior in 1789.
The front has a plat-band at first-floor level and narrower bands joining the window-sills of the two lower storeys; at the eaves is a small block cornice. The entrance, set to one side, has a timber door-case with fluted side pilasters and open pediment, enriched with festoons, over a semicircular fanlight. The hung-sash windows are set under flat arches of gauged brick. Inside, a transverse staircase, placed between front and back rooms, has thin turned balusters and open strings. The principal rooms have moulded cornices; the front room on the ground floor retains the original fireplace surround and a square-headed niche with shaped shelves. The brick floor of the cellars, disturbed for plumbing work, was found to be laid on a network of brick channels leading to a drainage sump.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 180. Monument 319
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061002 BOOTHAM BAR HOTEL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
Architect PETER ATKINSON 1782 1782 Architect son of Peter Atkinson the first, a partner of Richard Hey Sharp until 1828. Practice based in North and West Yorkshire.
Owner JOSEPH HORNER 1782
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 8 2020 2:37PM