Building record MYO1464 - 8 Ogleforth and 22 Goodramgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6049 5220 (31m by 48m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (10)
- HOUSE (Late C17, Late C17 - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
- HOUSE (C19 altertations and additions, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (C19 alterations and additions, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- OFFICE (C19, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOUSE (c1820, Late C18 to Mid C19 - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- HOUSE (Later alterations, Late C19 to Unknown - 1900 AD)
- BREWERY (Founded 1805, Early C19 - 1805 AD to 1805 AD)
- BREWERY (Closed 1940, C20 - 1940 AD to 1940 AD)
- APARTMENT (Converted 2009, Modern - 2009 AD to 2009 AD)
- SHOP (Late C20 change of use, C20 to Unknown - 1940 AD)
Includes: No.8 OGLEFORTH. House, brewhouse, stores and offices; now shop and warehousing. House late C17, refronted in C19, altered later. Stucco front with timber cornice, left return of orange brick, now rendered; gabled dormer and brick stack to slate mansard roof.
EXTERIOR: house: 3-storey 2-window front. Plate glass shop window and door: first and second floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted sills: dormer has paired 4-pane sash windows and pierced scalloped bargeboards. Brewery: brewery buildings various dates in C19, of various brick in English garden-wall and stretcher bonds; pantile roofs and brick stack. Ranges fronting Ogleforth of 2, 3 and 4 storeys. Entrance in 4-storey block which generally has 15/15-pane pivoting windows with cambered arches and painted sills. Top storey has paired board lifting doors above lucam, and squat 10/10-pane windows. Ranges to left have 12-pane sash windows, a louvred opening, with cambered arches, and board stable door with timber lintel in lower block. To right, 3-storey projecting block has board lifting doors, 15/15-pane windows and slatted openings on top floor.
No.8 Ogleforth: c1820 with later alteration. Orange-cream brick in English garden-wall bond with pantile roof and modillioned guttering. 3-storey 3-bay front. Entrance to ground floor from St William's College, Collage Street (qv). Stone outside stair with stick railings leads to first floor walkway and central door of 6 incised panels with small-pane overlight. Door set in full-height square-headed recess with similar shallow recesses on each side, round-arched on first floor, square-headed on second floor. Left return: lunette with 9-pane centre sash on third floor. Right return: 3-storey 3-window gable wall. Some 15/15-pane windows as elsewhere survive, some retaining original glass: others have 6-pane replacement lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase to No.22 Goodramgate, above first floor with bulbous turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 142, 173). Listing NGR: SE6048952203
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 8, a three-storey brick building of c. 1820, with a pantiled roof, may have been offices for Thackray's Brewery. The 1852 OS map shows it bisected by a ward boundary, and half of the ground floor is only accessible from St. William's College, whilst the entrance doorway at first floor is the only access to that level.
A modern external staircase and balcony partly mask the lower part of the N. elevation. The two upper floors form a three-bay composition, with recessed brick panels flanking and framing the entrance doorway. The elevation shows the scars of a late 19th-century roof. The side elevations have two sash windows to both floors on the E. above a ground-floor tripartite window, and three sash windows to each floor on the W.
Monument 298, City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 142, 173
No. 22, built in the late 17th century, one room deep and of three storeys and attics, with a transverse staircase and chimney at the rear, was refronted in the second half of the 19th century and re-roofed with slate. The two-bay street elevation is stuccoed. A late 17th-century staircase with bulbous balusters survives above first-floor level. A series of brick buildings of 19th-century date extends behind the house, formerly part of Thackray's Brewery.
Monument 212; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981
Name Marchs Brewery
A brewery founded in 1805. In 1905 it was operated by W H Thackwray and Company but acquired by John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Limited. The brewery closed in 1940.
A convertion of the the brewery into apartments took place in 2009. (1-2)
1 The brewing industry : a guide to historical records 1990 edited by Lesley Richmond and Alison Turton p.303
2 Strategy for the Historic Industrial Environment: The Brewing Industry 2010 Lynn Anderson p.36
People and Organisations
Owner John Smiths Tadcaster Brewery Limited 1905 1940
Owner W H Thackwray and Company 1905
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060618 22 GOODRAMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
BF060950 8 OGLEFORTH, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2020 2:53PM