Building record MYO1479 - 47 Goodramgate, Snickleways Inn
|Grid reference||SE 6047 5210 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built late C15 early C16, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1532 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (c1600, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1580 AD to 1620 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered late C18, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Mid C19 change of use, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered late C16-early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1567 AD to 1632 AD)
Formerly known as: No.36 The Anglers' Arms Public House GOODRAMGATE. Public house and attached outbuilding at rear. Front range c1500 with early C17 wing, altered in mid C19; mid C19 inn front: outbuilding c1600, with later alterations.
MATERIALS: all parts timber-framed: front range has plastered front, rear some exposed timber-framing with brick infill, some orange, some reused, some rendered: wing has exposed timber-frame on first floor and ground floor encased in red brick in stretcher bond; part of wing rebuilt in orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, painted on ground floor: pantile roofs and brick stacks. Outbuilding rebuilt variously, in orange brick in English garden-wall and stretcher bonds and red brick in random bond, with tile and pantile roofs and brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: front range 2 bays of 4-bay range shared with Nos 49 and 51 (qv), 3-bay wing, and 3-bay outbuilding at rear. 3-storey 2-bay front with jettied first and second floors: first floor jetty encased in boarded fascia projecting on coved and shaped brackets. Inn front has folding panelled 3-leaf door to left of centre and 3-panel door at right end, both with plain overlights: window to left is of plate glass with divided transom light, over painted brick riser; to right, large plate glass window and smaller one further right, both over moulded panel risers.
First floor has pivoting 2-pane window flanked by squat 4-pane sashes, second floor two 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes, all in raised architraves and with applied diamond lattice leading. Second floor jetty plate is moulded; eaves cornice, moulded and dentilled, on shaped brackets. Wing has one C20 and one 4-panel door; windows are various and include 16-pane sash on ground floor, 4-pane sash and two 2x3-pane Yorkshire sashes on first floor. Outbuilding has various doors and two 2- and 3-light windows to first floor at rear.
INTERIOR: front range has exposed timber-framing on all floors, with studded cross-walls on first and second floors and studded partition walls between rooms on second floor retained. Entrance screen and ground floor walls lined with C19 board panelling. Part of first floor removed to form 2-storey central bar on ground floor. First floor room to right screened with re-used incised-panel shutters. On second floor, room to left has cast-iron fireplace with coved frieze decorated with leaf and rosette mouldings. On third floor, 3-panel door at foot of newel stair in rear corner. Rebuilt bay of rear wing has staircase from ground to second floor, with boxed lowest flight, upper flights with turned balusters and plain handrail. Outbuilding has inserted upper floor. The inn was known as The Board in 1852.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 138-140). Listing NGR: SE6048052098
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Anglers' Arms, p.h., No. 47, and Houses, Nos. 49, 51, form a small complex, U-shaped on plan, essentially of timber-framed construction with pantiled roofs. The earliest parts, of late 15th or early 16th-century date, are a three-storey range of four bays along the street frontage and a hall house of 'Wealden' type behind, facing N.E. on a narrow lane, with one gable-end abutting the first range though not structurally connected to it. The roof trusses are similar throughout and though the front range was built first, there is probably little difference in date between the two parts. Also of late mediaeval date is a timber-framed range on the N. side of the lane, originally detached and placed about 35 ft. behind No. 47 to which it was linked in the early 17th century by another framed range, thus completing the basic plan as it now exists. Many alterations were made, probably from the 16th century onwards, including insertion of partitions, attic floors and chimneys, and the hall was divided horizontally by an intruded first floor. Several smaller additions were built with brick walls and some of the framed walls were replaced by similar material. No. 47 (called The Board p.h. on the 1852 OS map) retains plaster rendering which was later applied to the whole of the front elevation, but Nos. 49, 51 were extensively restored in 1930–1 (Brierley and Rutherford, architects) when the framing was again exposed, renewed where necessary, and the inserted floors, partitions and chimney-stack were removed from the open hall.
The Front Range is divided between No. 47, which occupies the two N. bays, and No. 49 in the S. half. There is a slight change of alignment at the mid-point but the single date of erection of the whole range is verified by the visible framing of the rear wall and the numbering of the roof trusses. The front elevation has the upper floors jettied out; No. 47 is rendered and has 19th-century doors and windows; the framing is visible on No. 49 but on the ground floor there are, apart from the posts, only modern doors and windows. Above, the posts have curved downward bracing and on the first floor is an additional post in the middle of the S. bay, also braced and with a plastered head inscribed in relief IAT 1700, probably the date that rendering was applied or renewed; the bressummer on the same floor, moulded and with mutilated battlementing, is morticed into the floor joists but on the second floor the plain bressummer is lodged on the joists. The windows are modern and a projecting oriel on the first floor did not exist before the 1930 restoration, though there may have been one similar originally. The back wall of the range, unjettied and now almost wholly internal due to the later additions, has studs at 2¼ ft. centres and upward bracing from the posts to the wall-plate (Fig. 3i). Originally each bay formed a single room on each floor; inside No. 47 extensive alterations include the removal of the first floor itself and the intermediate partition; in No. 49 the partition between the two original rooms has been removed on the ground floor and was renewed on the upper floors in 1930; the two end walls of the range and the party wall between the two parts retain much original framing. The roof trusses have kerbprincipals rising to collars and supporting side-purlins. A passage leading through the range to the lane at the rear is original and the opening for it in the front wall is rebated for a door.
Hall Range. No. 51 has a two-bay open hall flanked by two-storey bays at each end with the upper floors jettied on the N. elevation only. On this elevation the hall has two tall windows of three and six lights respectively with diamond mullions, all of them restorations; the wall is connected by a cove to an oversailing wall-plate. In the bay at the E. end, the doorway to the screens passage has an incorrectly restored head; the ground floor is otherwise mostly of modern brick; the framing of the jettied first floor has downward bracing and is extensively restored. The W. bay is also much restored and partly covered by a modern staircase wing; on the ground floor is a window with renewed diamond mullions. In the S. wall of the house there is no evidence of windows; the framing has a rail at first-floor level and a middle rail higher up, with studs forming tall panels, and with bracing to the wall-plate only in the end bays. The central open truss of the hall has restored arch-braces below the cambered tie-beam and kerb-principals supporting sidepurlins. The E. partition wall of the hall is modern below the cross-beam; above, it has downward bracing and vertical studs of which the central one is much thicker. On the W. side of the hall, the ground floor is open and the framed wall above the cross-beam is mostly restored. The truss at the E. end of the range is mostly lost, but joints in the posts and cross-beam make it clear that the original building continued onwards; the existing half-bay extension with brick walls is a rebuild of 1930 of similar work probably of the 18th century. At the W. end the framing is not closed, indicating that the front range is of earlier date. The roofs of the E. and W. bays are modern.
The Rear Range of No. 47, of two storeys, has two bays of framing surviving at first-floor level, including straight upward bracing; it is otherwise of later brick and has sash windows. The late mediaeval range at the E. end, placed at right angles, is three bays long but most of the original walls were rebuilt in brick in the 17th to 19th centuries; framing survives most complete in the W. wall of the N. end bay where it has curved braces below wall-plate and middle rail. It was originally divided by partitions below the trusses but there is no firm evidence of original floors. The roof has braced side-purlins on raking queen-struts. There are large inserted chimneys. Though the original purpose is not clear, the building cannot have been domestic.
Monument 194; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 138-140
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060870 THE ANGLERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2020 4:13PM