Building record MYO1584 - MASONIC HALL
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6020 5208 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Masonic hall, offices and flat. 1862-63, altered 1866, with early C20 extension, Hall by J Barton-Wilson and John Edwin Gates. MATERIALS: Hall of grey brick in English garden-wall bond with ashlar front, moulded cornice and hipped slate roof with brick stack: extension of red brick in English bond with brick quoins, ashlar doorcase and reset porch, and moulded stone cornice; slate hipped roof with brick corniced stacks. EXTERIOR: Hall has 2-storey 3-bay front on basement plinth: extension is of 2 storeys, 6 bays. Entrance in extension through reset round headed panelled double doors in round-arched architrave and Doric porch with triglyph frieze, moulded cornice and low parapet. Hall front has rusticated clasping pilaster strips at outer angles and to projecting centre bay, supporting entablature beneath low parapet. Two basement openings in outer bays have ornate cast-iron grilles. Ground floor windows are 1-pane sashes in plain openings over sill band. First floor windows are similar sashes with semicircular overlights in keyed round-arched openings, also with sill band. Eaves frieze inscribed with the words AUDI VIDE TACE, one over each bay. Right return: Articulated by rusticated pilaster strips carrying moulded cornice. First floor sill band returns from front as storey band. There are no openings. Towards front, upper storey is set with low relief moulding of Masonic insignia enclosed in raised surround. Extension has panelled door in keyed moulded stone doorcase at left end. Ground floor windows are unequal sashes of 6 over 9 panes: first floor windows are 12-pane sashes. All windows have stone sills; those on first floor have keyed brick arches. Broad first floor band of brick. INTERIOR: Ground floor: Library completely fitted with reused C18 raised and fielded panelling and set fireplace. The walls of the Masonic Hall are articulated by marbled pilasters of the Greek Corinthian order and incorporate paintings and Honour boards. Master's Chair and porch over doors enclosed by clustered columns. Ornately enriched frieze to coffered ceiling. Lighting columns in the form of the Classical Orders. Founded as the Union Lodge on 7 July 1777 at Lockwoods Coffee House.
Listing NGR: SE6020152082
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:20PM