Building record MYO1588 - CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HEWORTH
|Grid reference||SE 6178 5262 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Church. 1868-9. By George Fowler Jones. MATERIALS: coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings and high chamfered plinth. Slate and stone slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Original guttering cast with nailhead mouldings survives. All roofs have gable crosses or crocket finials. PLAN: chancel with south vestry; 6-bay nave with 2-bay rudimentary transepts and north porch; north-east steeple. EXTERIOR: chancel east end has three trefoiled lights in pointed openings with traceried heads and with continuous hoodmould and moulded sillstring, both returned on north and south sides. Above is glazed cinquefoil sunk deeply in carved roundel beneath 2-centred hoodmould on corbel heads. Chancel windows on north side are single trefoil-headed lights in pointed openings. On south side, they are obscured by vestry with pent porch. Porch doorway is chamfer stopped with 2-centred head and board door with ornate ironwork: hoodmould has head stops. 3-stage tower with octagonal spire has extruded 2-stage staircase turret to north east, both having high plinths and moulded bands to each stage. Tower north face has chamfer stopped doorway with 2-centred arch of 4 moulded orders, moulded impost band and lobed roundel in tympanum: hoodmould is head stopped. Double door is of shaped panels with square head. Second stage has slit lights to three faces and, to north, clock face in moulded surround. Each belfry face has a louvred trefoil headed light in 2-centred opening with pierced head and hoodmould with gargoyle stops. Tower spire rises from pierced and gabled parapet band with crocketed pinnacles. Staircase turret has slit lights and octagonal spirelet. Nave north and south sides have twin cross-gabled shallow projecting transepts, each having a window of 3 trefoiled lights with cinquefoil tracery in the 2-centred head. Hoodmoulds have foliar stops and the valleys between gables gargoyle water spouts. Three nave windows are each of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil tracery in trefoiled heads: hood stops are carved as animals and birds in foliage. On south side westernmost window is a single trefoiled light with tracery in the stilted trefoil headed opening. North porch is gabled and has high plinth and moulded band. Doorway is chamfer stopped, with 2-centred arch of 4 moulded orders and crocketed impost band. Outer order inscribed: LET US GO INTO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD. Double doors are glazed and panelled with square head. Arch tympanum filled with circular panel and spandrels carved in relief with foliage. Hoodmould
has head stops and relieving arch above is studded with red and green coloured stones: likewise gable apex. West end: four trefoil headed lights in pointed openings with impost band enriched with nailhead mouldings. West window is a rose, of five trefoiled lights, beneath semicircular hoodmould returned and stopped with couchant gargoyles. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE6178252625
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Bells: 1 bell dating to 1869 by John Taylor & Co.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2017 3:10PM