Building record MYO1650 - 21 Colliergate


House, then used as an almshouse, now a shop. Early 18th century with earlier origins; mid-19th and 20th century alterations. Earlier structure timber-framed, now encased in orange-pink brick. Exterior: 3-storey 1-window gabled front.


Grid reference SE 6050 5188 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

House. Early C18 with earlier origins; mid C19 and C20 alterations. Earlier structure timber-framed, now encased in orange-pink brick, front of Flemish bond, rear random bond; slate roof with brick gable coping and brick stack.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window gabled front. Square-headed pilastered opening to left contains recessed 6-panel passage door and part-glazed shop door: to right, small-pane shop window in fluted surround beneath full-width cornice. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with stone sills and flat arches of brick. Rear: 3-storey 1-window gable wall. 12-pane sash window with flat arch to second floor. Left return: studded second floor party wall visible within No.22 (qv).

INTERIOR: full height open string staircase with shaped treadends, stick balusters, turned newels and serpentine moulded handrail.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 120).
Listing NGR: SE6050451889

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 21, of three storeys with ground-floor passage, is built on a narrow frontage with a gable to the street and was originally timber-framed. The framing of the N.W. side walls, visible on the second floor of No. 22 (120), is of three periods within the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Fragments of still earlier framing survive on the ground floor below. Mason's Hospital, an almshouse for six poor widows, was established in No. 21 by the founder's will of 1732. The front and rear walls were rebuilt in brick with a legacy granted in 1783 (4th Rep. Charity Comm. (1820), 377), and in the mid 19th century the floors at the front were raised to the existing level of those at the rear, and a transverse central staircase with open string, shaped cheek-pieces and square balusters was made. The almshouse was closed by 1958, and the building is now a shop with flat above.

Monument 119; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 120

NMR Information

Alternate Name (Former): Mason's Hospital

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060487 21 COLLIERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 15 2020 4:23PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.