Building record MYO1679 - The Old Grey Mare Public House, Clifton
|Grid reference||SE 5937 5292 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Public house. Late C17, with late C19 additions and alterations by WG Penty. Painted and partly roughcast brick. Pantiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic. The main range has a 2-storey bay window with straight sides and with 5 casement lights with glazing bars facing forwards. To the left there is one bay which has windows with segmental heads, of 2 casement lights with glazing bars. To the right there are 2 similar windows on the 1st floor. To the right of the doorway on the ground floor there is a slightly bowed 4-light casement window. The attic is lit by 3 flat-roofed dormers which have horizontal sashes with glazing bars.
Above the doorway there is a shell hood in a late C17 style, added in the late C19. It has oak brackets carved as dragons, and a central figure of a grey mare in relief. The added cross-wing, at the right, has a recessed canted casement window on the ground floor, of 4 lights with a transom. The 1st floor window has 5 casement lights with glazing bars, and within the gable there is a keyed oculus with glazing bars. Timber box gutters to the main range are continued across the cross-wing gable. Chimneys at left of main range, at junction with cross-wing on and behind ridge, and to right of cross-wing.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 68).
Listing NGR: SE5937752921
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Old Grey Mare, p.h., was built in the late 17th century. It is said to stand on the site of the Maypole Inn which was burnt down in 1648; in 1820 it was known as the Grey Horse. A gabled cross-wing to the N. was added in the late 19th century. The building is of two storeys with walls of colour-washed brickwork; it has been very much altered and a hood to the front door, of late 17th-century character, was added by W. G. Penty in the late 19th century (Builders' Journal and Architectural Record, 7 Nov. 1900).
Monument 86; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 68
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY Architectural Survey 14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2020 7:17PM