Building record MYO1681 - Barley Hall
|Grid reference||SE 6029 5203 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (9)
- HOSPICE (C13, Medieval - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (C13, Medieval - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
- HOUSE (c1600, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1580 AD to 1620 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- HOUSE (c1990, C20 - 1985 AD to 1995 AD)
- OPEN HALL HOUSE (C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- TOWN HOUSE (C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- MUSEUM (C20 to Modern - 1980 AD to 2050 AD)
- CLERGY HOUSE (Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Formerly known as: Building on SE side, 30 yds SE of Stonegate COFFEE YARD. Probably Prebendal Hospice, later house. Probably C13 originally, with C15 hall; alterations of mid C15, c1600, early C19; restored and partly reconstructed c1990. Timber-framed, and brick with pantile and plain tile roofs.
PLAN: long range of medieval lodgings to north-east with a late medieval hall house added at south-west, when first range was adapted to form solar and private apartments to important town house.
EXTERIOR: north-east range: now largely reconstructed re-using original timbers where possible. Exterior completely rebuilt.
INTERIOR: retains a mutilated C17 brick stack and stairwell with early C19 staircase. South-east hall range: 2-bay 2-storey open hall, reconstructed with original south-east wall and roof truss: central hall truss re-used. Passage, now a thoroughfare, retains restored original framing including ogee-arched entrance and blocked service doorway with 4-centred head, both in chamfered openings. Exterior to south-west completely rebuilt. Extension of c1600 to south-east survives largely intact. Exterior south-east wall brick with various later openings, including 2-leaf lifting door above passage, and first floor 3-light window with rendered brick mullions. Interior has brick chimney stack with two Tudor-arched fireplaces. Restoration carried out c1990 by the York Archaeological Trust, when much of the building was taken down and a complete restoration of the medieval and late medieval fabric carried out. Most of the timber-framing in the north-east range was replaced.
(Michelmore D and Wright R: The Coffee Yard Project: 1985-; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 232). Listing NGR: SE6029252030
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Architectural Survey 14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
YAT, 1987-88, INTERIM 12, 12/2 p8 (Serial). SYO39.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2021 3:44PM