Building record MYO1696 - VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Summary

No summary available.

Location

Grid reference SE 5931 5315 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Vicarage and attached house. 1879-80. Designed by JL Pearson 1877-8 for the Rev. GH Straffen. MATERIALS:: orange brick in English bond on ground floor; first floor hung with plain and fishscale tiles. Plain tile roofs, half hipped and gabled with banks of tall ornately moulded brick stacks with brick corbel cornices; bargeboards to gables and gablets; gablets have tiny pointed openings with glass louvres. Cast-iron weather vane dated 1879 to porch gable; terracotta finial on conical roof to semicircular bow window. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay main range with 2-storey, one-and-a-half bay projecting wing to left: main range has 2-storey projecting porch with first floor deeply coved and jettied on shaped joists and brackets. Porch has nail studded board double doors on ground floor; on first floor 6-light window with 8-pane casements and timber mullions. Bay to left of porch has coved jetty and small-pane mullioned and transomed windows to left of smaller 2-light windows with pivoting top lights on both floors. On ground floor to right of porch is one window of two 8-pane lights. Moulded sillstring is stepped and broken by longer windows. Cogged brick course beneath first floor of right bay and deep coved eaves return over left part of garden front. Crosswing has nail studded door beneath flat porch in half bay. Left bay projects and has 5-light window with casements and top lights on both floors; first floor window projects as shallow square bay on shaped brackets. Brick corbel course beneath first floor returns on left side. Garden front: 2 storeys, 3 bays: to left is 2-storey shallow square bay; to right, full height semicircular bay with conical roof and finial. In centre bay, only 3-light first floor window is visible. Windows in square bay are of 5 lights: in semicircular bay, windows are banded beneath moulded timber cornices on both floors. All are mullioned and transomed with 1-pane casements and small-pane transom lights. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE5931353151

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 30 2014 5:44PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.