Building record MYO1800 - NUMBERS 70-76 (EVEN) AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS

Summary

Five storey terrace of four houses built in the mid 1850s by George Fowler Jones. 70-76 have almost identical floor plans and facades.

Location

Grid reference SE 5985 5245 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Row of 4 houses with attached railings (Nos 72 and 76 now flats). c1855 of 3 builds. Brindled brick. Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basements, each house of 2 bays. Nos 70 and 72 are a handed pair; No.74 as No.70; No.76 differs. Nos 70 and 72: 4-panelled doors and arched overlights in wooden doorcases with flattened consoles and cornices. Inner bays have 2-storey-and-cellar canted bay windows set on raised brick panels; unequally-hung, 3:6:3-pane sashes with moulded sills; first floor sills continue as band; modillioned wooden cornice. Above the doors are unequally-hung 6-pane sashes with segmentally-arched heads. 2nd floor: 3 smaller 8-pane sashes to each house have projecting sills and segmental arches; windows above the canted bays are set close with linked sills. Shaped brackets to wooden eaves cornice; shared central ridge stack. No.74: as No.70 but separated by straight joint. No.76: similar to No.72 but with 3-storey bay window and square-headed windows over door; that to the first floor altered, that to 2nd floor with 4-pane sash. Nos 74 and 76 share central ridge stack. INTERIOR: 4-panelled doors; contemporary staircases with turned balusters and hardwood handrails; marble fireplace surrounds. Nos 70 and 74 are best preserved: first-floor front room to No.70 has an iron grate marked RUSSELL AND CO. PATENT; ornate pelmet with original curtain tracking; acanthus ceiling boss. No.74 has archivolted recesses in hall. Nos 72 and 76 have suffered through subdivision but retain many original features. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached railings of simple design have twin top rails and spear finials; they return to each doorway. Deeds to No.70 include conveyances of land only in 1852, and of newly-erected premises in 1858.
Listing NGR: SE5985352452

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Evidence of service bells in basement, second, and third floors.

In 2002 the basement was converted to a self contained flat.

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 22 2021 9:54AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.