Building record MYO1849 - 3 Blossom Street
|Grid reference||SE 5977 5144 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
National School, now Citizens' Advice Bureau. 1853 with late C19 and C20 alterations and extensions. Brick with stone dressings. Slate roof. Elizabethan style. EXTERIOR: one and 2 storeys, with 2 gables facing forwards. The gables have saddlebacked copings, and the coping of the slightly recessed central bay is stepped upwards. The windows are double chamfered with mullions and with glazing divided into small rectangular panes. In front of the left-hand gable there is a single-storey projection which has a coping which rises in the centre above a window of 4 lights with transom. The right-hand return wall of this projection has a tall C20 inserted opening which contains a lower doorway. The main gable above has a small chamfered opening at the apex, and a 2-light mullioned window. A continuous string course rises above both gable windows. The central bay has a recess, probably intended for a plaque, below its coping, and on the ground floor, below a second string course, it has a cross window with mullion and transom. The upper part of the right-hand gable is similar to the left-hand one, except that below the 2 upper lights the window widens and has 4 lights. The lower part of the window is cut through by a mid C20 doorway. Chimney visible between the 2 gables towards the rear of the building. INTERIOR: not inspected. Included for group value with the City Walls (qv) and other buildings on Blossom Street. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 40).
Listing NGR: SE5977051442
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
In 2013 York Archaeological Trust undertook a watching brief on land at 3 Blossom Street to record any deposits, features or buried structures exposed during works associated with the excavation for a new extension on the north-east side of the existing buildings. The extension is partly cut into the rampart. At no point was anything of archaeological significance noted. There was some faint evidence for tip lines respecting the profile of the rampart but it was not clear whether these were part of the rampart or tipping associated with the construction of the present structures on site. No finds were recovered.
The school was known as:
Micklegate Trinity National School for boys 1835
Micklegate Trinity Girls School 1863
Holy Trinity Church of England Girls and Infants Schools 1885
Micklegate National School 1895
Trinity Schools 1909
Micklegate Bar Girls and Infants School
Micklegate C of E Voluntary Primary School 1956
Micklegate Trinity National School for boys opened in 1835 with the aid of Naional Society and government grants on the corner of Queen St outside Micklegate Bar. A separate girls and infants school had opened in a private house before 1847. A new schoolroom for girls was built in 1853 on Blossom St adjacent to the Bar. The average attendance for girls was 100. The school as a whole was full by the end of the 19th century. However, by 1923 the Queen St building was closed and demolished. The Blossom St school became a voluntary controlled school in 1949 and closed in 1956. (Victoria County History City of York p450)
Victoria County History, 1961, Victoria County History: A History of the County of York - The City of York, p450 (Monograph). SYO1655.
YAT, 2013, 3 Blossom St (Unpublished document). SYO1876.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2022 1:10PM