Building record MYO1873 - GATES, WALLS AND RAILINGS TO FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6012 5140 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Includes: Wall bounding former churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior CARR LANE. Walls and railings, with gates and gate piers, bounding former churchyard of St Mary's Church, Bishophill Senior, to south-east and south-west (church now demolished). c1860, incorporating sections of earlier wall. Railings probably from the Walker Foundry. Walls of coursed dressed stone incorporating stretch of brick wall; ashlar gate piers; cast-iron gates and railings. Carriage gate piers octagonal on plan, with stepped polygonal caps above moulded cornice; foot gate piers square on plan, caps lost. Double carriage gates of railings with fleur-de-lys finials and bands of quatrefoil castings; single pedestrian gate similar. Walls varying from approximately 1.0 to 1.75 metres in height, with sloped coping, raked-up on south-east side. Standards octagonal on plan with tapering finials, and diagonally set railings, with alternating pointed and fleur-de-lys finials. The church of St Mary Bishophill Senior was demolished in 1963. In 1859-60, it was restored by JB and W Atkinson, with whom William Walker frequently worked. Similar gates and cast-iron piers were ordered from William Walker by the Little Blake Street Improvement Committee in 1863. Wall to south-east thought to incorporate remains of wall to possible Saxon burial ground. (Pace GG: Bishophill: York: York: 1974-: 6-7; City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 35-36; York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 37).
Listing NGR: SE6012951408
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 18 2020 4:06PM