Building record MYO1880 - 60 AND 62 Aldwark
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6069 5199 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Methodist chapel, now dentist's surgery. 1759, altered and extended c1805 and later. Orange-grey brick in random bond on brick plinth; hipped roof of pantiles with corner scrolls and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay front with 1-storey extension bay to right. C20 glazed door in shallow brick arch of 2 orders in extension, approached by steps with cast-iron handrail. Windows to main front are of 16 panes with stone sills and segmental brick arches. Left return: 2 storeys, 5 bays, with irregular fenestration. Blocked round-arched openings represent original fenestration. Present windows similar to those on Aldwark front. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: building is notable as the first, and until 1805 the only, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in York. The opening service on 15 July 1759 was conducted by John Wesley. Its use as a chapel was discontinued in 1805. (Borthwick Papers: Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: University of York: 1985-: 1; City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 52).
Listing NGR: SE6069351991
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:22PM