Building record MYO1917 - HESLINGTON ANGLICAN AND METHODIST CHURCH
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6280 5055 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Heslington, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
hurch. 1858 by J B and W Atkinson for G and AM Lloyd, with church rooms to north of 1973. Sandstone ashlar with magnesian limestone dressings and grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel. Gothic Revival. 3-stage tower surmounted by broach spire. Angle buttresses with off-sets. Moulded plinth. 1st stage band interrupted to west facade by 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head. Trefoiled lights to north and south. Second stage band. Twin-light bell-openings under hoodmould. Lucarnes. Nave: angle buttresses. Plinth. South porch to 2nd bay with pointed entrance a plank door in architrave with nook shafts and roll-moulding to head. Two-light windows with reticulated tracery under hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves band with gargoyle rainwaterheads. Ashlar coping to gables. Chancel: angle buttress with set-offs. Plinth. Steps to 4- centred priest's doorway under continuous hoodmould. 2-light windows with traceried heads. Eaves band. Gargoyle rainwaterhead. Ashlar coping to gable end. 5-light East window has reticulated tracery. Plain interior. On plaques to tower exterior: 'THIS CHURCH / REBUILT AND ENLARGED / 1858 / BY GEORGE AND ALICIA MARIA LLOYD / OF STOCKTON HALL' and 'THIS CHURCH / WAS REDEVELOPED / AND REFURNISHED / 1973 / BY THE / HESLINGTON CHURCH PROJECT'. Originally dedicated to St. Paul. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.250.
Listing NGR: SE6280450559
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2014 10:14AM