Building record MYO1935 - THE FOLK HALL

Summary

No summary available.

Location

Grid reference SE 6084 5519 (point)
Map sheet SE65NW
Civil Parish New Earswick, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Village Hall, 1905-1908, with addition of 1935. By Parker and Unwin, for Joseph Rowntree Village Trust. 1935 addition by Parker alone. Pebbledashed and whitewashed brick, with French tile roof. Early C-shaped range to north containing original hall and reading room, with later extension to south containing new hall. North range: 2 storeys, 9 bays with central range flanked by 2 side wings breaking forward at oblique angle. To centre: recent flat-topped glazed porch flanked by 2 tall windows breaking roof line lighting former hall. To left: an extension under a catslide roof contains a half-glazed door with single-light fixed window and 2-light casement to left and 2-light casement to right. Left wing: no ground-floor openings but pair of dormers with hipped roofs. Right range: gabled extension to left lit by recent casements. Central canted bay rising through 2 storeys to gable end contains glazed double doors with overlight and sidelights flanked by pairs of single-light fixed windows. Pairs of recent plate glass fixed windows to left and right. First floor: central canted bay has mock timber framing and a 5-light casement with half-height lights to sides. Plate glass dormers to left and right. Canted bay with mock timber framing to right gable and, with 6-light casements. Half hipped roof to right. Bellcote to left. South extension: open hall under steeply-pitched roof lit by dormers, 4 bays. Double door flanked by buttresses to left of centre with 2-light casement flanked by single-light casements to left. To right: pair of plate glass fixed windows flanked by buttresses First floor: 3 tall dormers with hipped roofs to right, and one low dormer with hipped roof to left. Pair of external stacks to left. Central bellcote. Interior: main hall in extension. Original hall in centre of earlier wing now divided at first floor level. Other rooms include general purpose room, office and meeting room.
Listing NGR: SE6084355196

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 8 2014 9:34AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.