Monument record MYO1963 - Kexby Old Bridge

Summary

1650 for Sir Roger Tresuer with later additions and alterations. Ashlar and red brick. 3 rounded triple-chamfered aches. Pointed cutwaters with sloped tops between. Band. 4-course parapet.

Location

Grid reference SE 7053 5107 (point)
Map sheet SE75SW
Civil Parish Kexby, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Bridge. 1650 for Sir Roger Tresuer with later additions and alterations. Ashlar and red brick. 3 rounded triple-chamfered aches. Pointed cutwaters with sloped tops between. Band. 4-course parapet. Scheduled Ancient Monument. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p.291.
Listing NGR: SE7050151115

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

The road from Dunnington to Wilberfoss, now forming part of the York-Hull trunk road, crosses Kexby township, and from it a minor road leads southwards to Elvington. The main road formerly used a ferry across the Derwent, mentioned as early as 1315, at which tolls were taken by the lord of Catton manor. (fn. 2) A bequest was made to repair the road on either side of the ferry in 1396. (fn. 3) A ferry was last mentioned in 1650, when it crossed near the bridge and belonged to the lord of Kexby. (fn. 4) A stone bridge was apparently built in the late 1420s by Nicholas Blackburn, a York merchant. (fn. 5) About 1540 it was said to have three arches. (fn. 6) Bequests for the repair of Kexby Lane in the 16th century (fn. 7) were doubtless intended for the main road to the bridge. Much work was done to the bridge by the county in 1648-50, (fn. 8) and indeed an inscription (fn. 9) on it states that it was 'built' in 1650. Part of the older structure may have survived, however, including a representation of the arms of the Ughtreds. (fn. 10) The road was turnpiked in 1764 and the trust was continued until 1881. (fn. 11) Much work was done on the bridge in the 18th century; expenditure was especially heavy in 1780 and 1788, (fn. 12) and an inscription records repairs in 1778. The road has been widened and straightened in the 20th century and a new bridge was built in the 1960s, (fn. 13) bypassing the old one. (fn. 14) The old bridge, of stone, has three semicircular arches divided by piers with cutwaters. The eastern arch is normally dry.

A P Baggs, G H R Kent and J D Purdy, 'Catton: Kexby, Scoreby, and Stamford Bridge West', in A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3, Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, and Part of Harthill Wapentake, ed. K J Allison (London, 1976), pp. 158-164.

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 70585108) Kexby Old Bridge (NAT) (1)

II* Kexby Old Bridge (That portion in Derwent Rural District)

Built in 1650 by Sir Roger Tresuer. Ashlar. Three roundheaded arches. Pointed cut waters with sloped tops. Solid parapet. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (2)

II* Kexby Old Bridge (That part in Pocklington Rural District)

C17. Ashlar. Three round arches. Pointed cutwaters, pointed tops to cutwaters, solid parapet. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (3)

SE 705511 Kexby Bridge-scheduled. (4)

Sources

1 Ordnance Survey Map. OS 1:2500 1970.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p17 DOE (HHR) Derwent R.D, Yorks E.R, Nov 1965
3 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p6 DOE (HHR) Pocklington R.D, Humbs, Dec 1965
4 Scheduled Monument Notification. p67 DOE (IAM) AM's Eng 1, 1977


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2021 3:24PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.