Building record MYO1996 - POPPLETON HOUSE
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 5595 5489 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Nether Poppleton, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Large detached house. c1780, altered early C19 and c1900. Red brick with ashlar dressings, now painted. Hipped slate roofs to main house, pantile roof to service wing, all with brick stacks. Rusticated quoins. Plinth and moulded ground and first floor ashlar bands.
Main, south-east facade 3 storey with 4 windows and 2 storey addition with 2 windows to right. Off-centre doorway to right has 6-panel door with fanlight in round headed opening with C19 wooden outer frame with brackets supporting flat hood. Two margin-light sashes to left and single sash to right all with similar C19 wooden frames and brackets supporting flat hoods. Above 4 slightly smaller margin light sashes and above again 4 smaller similar sashes. Addition to right has two glazing bar sashes in moulded wooden surrounds. Set back to left single storey service wing with large glazing bar sash in moulded wooden surrounds. North-west, garden fa_ade 3 storey with 4 windows. Doorway to left with panel door and overlight has small window to left and two large glazing bar sash windows to right. First floor has glazing bar sashes at either end with between a tall round headed staircase window and a small sliding sash with glazing bars. Above again three further sliding sashes with glazing bars. 2 storey wing to left has panel door with overlight and above a large glazing bar sash, to left the scar of a former window. To right slightly projecting single storey service wing has a large glazing bar sash window and to left a smaller plain sash and then a plank door. Beyond, lower block with single casement and panel door. INTERIOR has wooden staircase, lowest flight Edwardian with two square newels per tread, upper sections early C19 with re-used C18 turned balusters. Plain early C19 service staircase with stick balusters and square newels. 6-panel doors throughout in moulded frames. Most rooms have early C19 fireplaces, grey marble in the main reception rooms, skirting boards and coving. Two main rooms on upper floors have had dividing wall moved c1900, present timber and plaster wall crosses windows on main front. This house was purchased by John Dodsworth in the early nineteenth century and used as a school. By 1860 it had become the home of the Poppleton Academy and in 1915 it became a maternity hospital specialising in 'childbirth without pain'.
Listing NGR: SE5595454896
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 11:47AM