Building record MYO1998 - Church Of St Clement
|Grid reference||SE 600 509 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Church. 1872-74, with vestry added 1880. Designed by J B & W Atkinson. Red brick with blue brick banding , ashlar dressings and steep slate roofs with ashlar coped gables and kneelers. Chamfered ashlar plinth. Angle buttresses with ashlar set-offs, dentilated brick cornice. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, side aisles and apsidal east end. West front has tall 4-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery, above three small graduated lancets light the roof space. Either side aisles have single small lancets. North corner of gable topped with projecting octagonal bellcote with short slated octagonal spire. South facade has projecting gabled porch to left with double plank doors, ornate iron hinges in moulded and banded pointed arch. To right a single lancet, then three 2-light pointed arch windows an priests doorway with a shouldered hood under a pointed arch and beyond a further lancet, all the windows have reticulated tracery. Above clerestorey has four sets of triple lancets and to the east a pair of lancets with a projecting chimney between. At east end of south aisle slightly later vestry with apsidal east end 2-light and 3-light ashlar lancets linked by triple blue bands. East end has a central tall 3-light pointed arch window flanked by similar 2-light windows all with reticulated tracery. North fa_ade has similar window arrangement to south though with projecting gabled porch to right.
INTERIOR has brick arcades with 5 pointed arches each supported on circular stone piers with elaborate stone capitals, responds have pairs of smaller columns at either end. Circular stone font supported on 4 circular columns. Elaborate octagonal stone pulpit with traceried fronts. Tiled floor, wooden roof wooden pews. Reredos by Mr Thrupp in frame by G W Milburn. Choir stalls and screen by Robert 'Mousey' Thompson mid C20. Stained glass east window 1875 by Capronnier. This church also contains various fittings from St Mary Bishophill Senior, demolished 1963, including monuments, charity boards and two mayoral boards recording the mayoralty of the architect John Carr of York dated 1770 and 1785.
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Bell by John Taylor & Co. 1920. CARE No. 43/190
17th-18th century church fittings from St Mary Bishophill Senior now held in St Clement's Church, Scarcroft Road. They consist of benefactor's tables, bread shelves, collecting shovels, a chair and a communion table.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060204 ST CLEMENT'S CHURCH, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2020 2:43PM