Monument record MYO2030 - St Edwards Church and cemetery
|Grid reference||Centred SE 61395 51373 (64m by 51m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (0)
During the 14th century St Edwards Church was erected in Lawrence Street. There was no incumbent between 1469 and 1504. The church was demolished in 1585. Burials in the churchyard are mentioned in the 14th century and during the 15th century.
Three trenches were excavated at 75 Lawrence Street by OSA during February and March 2004. The trenches revealed the remains of wall foundations possibly belonging ti the demolished medieval St Edward's Church. Several articulated and disarticulated human remains were uncovered in a dense medieval cemetery associated with the church (EYO699).
Two watching briefs were carried out at 31 and 32 Landsdowne Terrace by YAT in 1984 and 1996. At 31 Landsdowne Terrace, three undisturbed and some disturbed burials were observed (EYO3732). At 32 Landsdowne Terrace Four burials and a small quantity of disarticulated bone were recovered from this site. The burials were thought to be part of the medieval cemetery of St Edward's church. Modern deposition was observed immediately above graveyard soil, indicating the previous removal of any post-churchyard deposits during clearance prior to the construction of the extant 19th century houses (EYO3733)
On-Site Archaeology, 2004, 75 Lawrence Street York Report on an Archaeological Evaluation (Unpublished document). SYO191.
- --- SYO191 Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2004. 75 Lawrence Street York Report on an Archaeological Evaluation.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- WATCHING BRIEF: 32 LANSDOWNE TERRACE (Ref: 0389) (EYO7048)
- WATCHING BRIEF: 1 Landsdowne Terrace (Ref: 2010/49) (EYO4294)
- DEPOSIT MODEL: 31 LANSDOWNE TERRACE (Ref: 1984.2) (EYO3732)
- DEPOSIT MODEL: 32 LANSDOWNE TERRACE (Ref: 1996.171 YORYM) (EYO3733)
- EVALUATION: 75 Lawrence Street (Ref: OSA04WB04) (EYO699)
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 4:08PM