Monument record MYO2191 - Moss Street Depot, Ditch
A substantial ditch (F3) over 3m wide which ran along the southern boundary of the site. Inits disuse it was recut by F2, slightly offset to the south. Both these features run parallel to and appear to define the southern edge of the former Moss Street Depot. F3 was dated to the 17th century by fragments of clay tobacco pipe and may represent a post Civil War redefinition of properties. After being recut the ditch appears to have been deliberately backfilled with a series of rubble and clay dumps in the 19th century. The ward boundary as shown on the 1852 Ordnance Survey map appears to correspond with a large field boundary shown in the same location on Jeffreys map of 1772. It is possible that this ditch might have its origins as a defensive feature constructed during the Civil War Siege of York in 1644.
|Grid reference||SE 5978 5119 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
FAS, 2003, Moss Street Depot, p30 (Unpublished document). SYO496.
- --- SYO496 Unpublished document: FAS. 2003. Moss Street Depot. p30.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:23PM