Building record MYO337 - ST NICHOLAS CHAPEL
|Grid reference||SE 5965 4549 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Naburn, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
FIRST MENTIONED IN 1353.AND AGAIN IN 1433. THE PRESENT CHAPEL BUILT ON THE SAME SITE AS ITSPREDECESSOR DATES TO 1742 OR 1870
(SE 59644547) (2). St Nicholas's Chapel at Naburn was built in the
14th century and rebuilt on the same site in 1742 (1a) although VCH
stated that it was demolished and rebuilt circa 1870 (b).
The chapel became disused when the present St Matthew's Church (at SE
59884536) was built in 1854, although VCH refer to the chancel being
retained for use by the Palmes family. Plan (2). (1-2)
1a VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Collect Rerum. Eccles Dioces Eboracensi 1 1840 44 (G Lawton)
2a VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Ouse Bridge to Naburn Lock (undated) 367 (Camidge)
1 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION YAJ 40 1962 443-4 (Brig T B Trappes-Lomax)
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION VCH Yorks ER 3 1976 76 80-1 - plan 1739 (with Cmdr G B Palmes 1972)
Archaeology File (Unpublished document). SYO3.
- --- SYO3 Unpublished document: Archaeology File.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2019 1:14PM