Monument record MYO3507 - Foss Islands Branch
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6070 5264 (1060m by 2219m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
The Foss Islands branch was opened in 1879. After it had bought the Foss Navigation in 1853, the corporation sought, without success, to persuade the N.E.R. To build a branch line across the Foss Islands district to Walmgate Bar. The services of such a line were increasingly needed both for the cattle market and by industrial undertakings on the eastern side of the city, and the scheme was eventually authorized in 1874. The 1¾-mile line was opened in December 1879, running from the Y.N.M.'s Scarborough line north of the city to an extensive goods station near Walmgate Bar.
From: 'Transport', A History of the County of York: the City of York (1961), pp. 472-481. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36382 Date accessed: 26 January 2012.
The Foss Island Branch Railway was an LNER line that ran from the York and Scarborough Railway to Foss Island, opened by 1894 and closed before 1963. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1894
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2021 1:33PM