Monument record MYO3538 - Copmanthorpe Airfield

Summary

The site of the First World War airfield at Copmanthorpe established in late 1915 and operational until May 1919. The airfield consisted of a grass landing strip and a number of hangars and other facilities. It was established as a home defence airfield to protect York from German zeppelin attack. A detachment from 33 Squadron took up residence at Copmanthorpe operating BE2c fighters on night patrol sorties. In early 1916 57 Squadron was founded at Copmanthorpe and the squadrons HQ and "A Flight" took up residence at the airfield. The squadron was part of Yorkshire's home defence system and flew Avro 504s and BE2cs. In August 1916 the squadron moved to Tadcaster and a detachment from 76 Squadron came to Copmanthorpe, which stayed there until the airfield was closed in May 1919. A fighter station between 1916 and March 1919. Squadrons 33, 57 and 76 operated from here. By 1982 only some concrete foundations and part ofthe firing range remained. "No. 57 Squadron, RFC, was formed at Copmanthorpe, near York, on 8th June, 1916, from a nucleus flight provided by No. 33 Home Defence Squadron and in December of the same year crossed to France as a fighter-reconnaissance unit equipped with FE2d's. In May 1917, the squadron began to convert to Rolls-Royce Eagle-engined DH4s and in June, on completion of its conversion training, moved up into the Ypres sector and started long-distance reconnaissance, bombing and photography. In July oxygen-breathing apparatus and negative-lens bombsights were fitted to all aircraft and thereafter both bombing and photography improved. In all its work No. 57 met strong opposition from enemy fighters and many successful combats were fought. The squadron continued photographic reconnaissances and bombing raids on targets behind the enemy's lines, and although it suffered heavy casualties during the summer and autumn of 1918 -its record of achievement was high. During its service in France No. 57 Squadron destroyed 166 enemy aircraft, dropped 285 tons of bombs, exposed 22,030 photographic plates and made 196 successful reconnaissances." source: http://21stbattalion.ca/tributeos/riley_gaf.html

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 5747 4662 (931m by 903m)
Map sheet SE54NE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish Copmanthorpe, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

NMR Information:

The site of the First World War airfield at Copmanthorpe established in late 1915 and operational until May 1919.
The airfield consisted of a grass landing strip and a number of hangars and other facilities. It was established as a home defence airfield to protect York from German zeppelin attack. A detachment from 33 Squadron took up residence at Copmanthorpe operating BE2c fighters on night patrol sorties. In early 1916 57 Squadron was founded at Copmanthorpe and the squadrons HQ and "A Flight" took up residence at the airfield. The squadron was part of Yorkshire's home defence system and flew Avro 504s and BE2cs. In August 1916 the squadron moved to Tadcaster and a detachment from 76 Squadron came to Copmanthorpe, which stayed there until the airfield was closed in May 1919. (1)

1 The Military Airfields of Britain. Northern England: Co. Durham, Cumbria, Isle of Man, Lancashire, Merseyside, Manchester, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Yorkshire Ken Delve


South Ainsty Archaeological Society, 2010, From Coppenthorpe to Copmanthorpe. Aspects of life in an Ainsty village (Bibliographic reference). SYO1443.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Bibliographic reference: South Ainsty Archaeological Society. 2010. From Coppenthorpe to Copmanthorpe. Aspects of life in an Ainsty village.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Aug 2 2019 12:26PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.