Monument record MYO3553 - Templars PreceptoryCopmanthorpe

Summary

Preceptory of Knights Templars, founded AD 1258, last reference to a prior being in 1292. Traces of enclosures, boundary ditches and possible ponds were seen as soilmarks on air photographs. Templars also held farm and mill on site of Temple Hill Farm.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 5788 4618 (285m by 394m)
Map sheet SE54NE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish Bishopthorpe, City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish Copmanthorpe, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Traces of enclosures, boundary ditches and possible ponds were seen as soilmarks and cropmarks on air photographs. The remains are concentrated in one field. Running to the west of the main features is a long double ditched (in part triple ditched) feature which could be a contemporary boundary re-used as a field boundary or it could be a later feature but it is difficult to tell from available photography. The most obvious features are a group of three conjoined enclosures 22m by 22m centred at SE 5790 4626. These enclosures run just to the west of one of the possible ponds.

NMR Information:

Temple Garth [SE 579 462] Site of Preceptory of the Knights Templars [G.T.] (Founded A.D.1258). (1)

A small house of the Knights Templars, founded 1258. A preceptor is recorded in 1292 but not in 1308. (2)

There are no traces of any former buildings. (3)

Temple Garth, Copmanthorpe mentioned as `capella vocata le Tempyll' in 1409 is "named from the Knights Templars who had here a residence and chapel, traces of which remain". (4)

(SE 57894629) Site of a Preceptory of the Knight's Templars (NR) (see illustration card). (5)

Traces of enclosures, boundary ditches and possible ponds were seen as soilmarks and cropmarks on air photographs. The remains are concentrated in one field. Running to the west of the main features is a long double ditched (in part triple ditched) feature which could be a contemporary boundary re-used as a field boundary or it could be a later feature but it is difficult to tell from available photography. The most obvious features are a group of three conjoined enclosures 22m by 22m centred at SE 5790 4626. These enclosures run just to the west of one of the possible ponds. (6)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1958
2 Medieval religious houses : England and Wales 235 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock
3 Field Investigators Comments F1 RWE 15-MAY-63
4 The place-names of the West Riding of Yorkshire, part 4 : Barkston Ash, Skyrack and Ainsty Wapentakes 227 Vol.33 By A H Smith
5 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1851
6 Oblique aerial photograph reference number NMR SE 5746/1 (12217/13) 11-JAN-1992


English Heritage, 2011, Vale of York National Mapping Project AMIE data (Unpublished document). SYO1458.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2011. Vale of York National Mapping Project AMIE data.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Aug 2 2019 12:17PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.