Monument record MYO3695 - The York Union Gasworks
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6076 5177 (80m by 79m)|
Type and Period (1)
In 1837 The York Union Gas Light Company was formed and land purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for works at Hungate. This was a rival undertaking to The York Gas Light Company (MYO4883) in Monkbridge/Layerthorpe. The two undertakings continued in competition until 1844 when they amalgamated to form the York United Gas Light Company. In 1850 the Hungate works were closed and extensions made to the Monk Bridge site. In 1912 the undertaking was reincorporated as the York Gas Company. In 1936, the holding company United Kingdom Gas Corporation obtained a controlling interest in York GC. The company continued to operate as part of UKGC until nationalisation in 1949 when it was vested in the NEGB and became part of the York / Harrogate Group of NEGB (Historic England)
Historic England, 2020, The Manufactured Gas Industry Vol 3 (Report). SYO2643.
- --- SYO2643 Report: Historic England. 2020. The Manufactured Gas Industry Vol 3.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 1:31PM