Building record MYO3935 - 8 New Street
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6022 5188 (15m by 12m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
(288) No. 8, of two storeys, has brick walls and tiled roofs. It was probably built shortly after 1745 as a coach-house and stable for a house, now demolished, which stood in Coney Street. In 1846 it was the enginehouse of the Yorkshire Insurance Company (Sotheran's Guide of 1846, 160) and is now used as offices. The fenestration of the front wall is entirely modern, but before alterations in the 1950s there was a blocked coach entry with a semicircular window above. In the S.W. wall are three original windows with brick segmental arches, and in the N.E. wall a 6 ft. wide blocked opening with elliptical arch. Inside, there has been much alteration and a chimney-breast was inserted in the 19th century. The staircase has reset turned balusters of earlier date.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
BF060935 8 NEW STREET, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2023 9:20AM