Building record MYO3955 - Tower House (former Northern Command)
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6078 5095 (47m by 35m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Large Victorian gothic-style building with yard at rear and offices leading into yard enclosed by brick wall. The building was used as the Former headquarters offices of the World War II Northern Command. Converted to military use in the period 1930 to 1940 and was in a good condition during a visit in 2000. Located at Tower House (office premises), on corner of Fulford Road and Winterscale Street, York. (1)
1 Migrated Defence of Britain Project database record originally compiled from various sources The two databases developed by the Project can be searched on-line through the Archaeology Data Service at http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/index.cfm
NMR Related object DEB01 Defence of Britain
Associated with the Defence of Britain Project (NMR no 1444724)
DoB Anti Invasion Database UID S0013510
Boundary stone set into the wall of the former Fishergate ‘War Office’.
The stone seems to have had the W and the arrow and the D part obscured, though the other carved elements are left intact, including a measurement in feet and inches.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 8 2020 9:01AM