Building record MYO4081 - The Golden Ball PH

Summary

A mid-Victorian public house which was extensively refurbished by John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery in 1929. The external tile and glazed brickwork, which includes the pub and brewery names in the fascia, is from this scheme and has typical detailing of the time. Internally, the bar is tucked away at the back and is not entered directly from the street whilst the lounge still retains its Victorian interior. The Golden Ball is included on the CAMRA Inventory of Pub Interiors of Outstanding Heritage Interest.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6013 5136 (15m by 13m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Public House. Early C19, with 1883 extension. 1929 remodelling of exterior and interior by Bertram Wilson, in-house architect to brewers John Smith's of Tadcaster. Glazed facing brick and rendered brick, slate roof, brick stack.

The original pub comprised the lower-roofed section on Victor Street, formerly known as St Mary's Row, and had its entrance there. Cromwell Road only assumed its present form after 1878 when the demolition of the old City Gaol released land for widening and redevelopment. The publican of the time was William Flint who, in 1883, employed local architects Benson & Minks to submit plans for a new corner addition to the pub, together with an adjoining new dwelling house (No.2 Cromwell Road). The corner addition was designed to increase the publican's private living space and the pub interior remained largely confined to the original Victor Street elevation. In 1884 The Golden Ball was sold to Benjamin Braime of Braime's Brewery, Tadcaster. A 1902 Chief Constable's report mentioned a smoke room, a vaults, and a large club room at the bottom of the back yard used as a `brass room', a once-popular pub game rather like quoits. In 1902 John Smith's of Tadcaster took over Braime's and so acquired The Golden Ball. In 1929 The Golden Ball was remodelled by Bertram Wilson. This involved enlarging the pub premises by removing the publican's private accommodation in the Cromwell Road corner building to make way for new facilities including off-sales, a new entrance and an extra drinking area (the bar-side `hall' alcove). The old Victor Street entrance was abandoned and the public bar enlarged. The ceilings of both the public bar and smoke room were also heightened.

Information from the NMR
Licensed to sell : the history and heritage of the public house Published in association with CAMRA [Campaign for Real Ale] 2004 Geoff Brandwood ; Andrew P Davison ; Michael Slaughter p.142

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jan 24 2020 10:04AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.