Monument record MYO4168 - Dominican Friary (Blackfriars)
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5977 5165 (258m by 297m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
The Dominican Friary was founded at the Chapel of St Mary Magdalene in the South-West corner of York in 1227. The friars were probably temporarily housed at Goodramgate before that date. in 1456, or perhaps earlier, a disastrous fire had destroyed the cloister, buildings, books, chalices, vestmenst, goods, deposited jewels, and 34 cells and studies. The prior, John Pickering, was executed at Tyburn in 1537 for taking part in the Pilgrimage of Grace. The friary was surrendered in 1538.
1 Medieval religious houses in England and Wales 220 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock
Victoria County History, 1961, Victoria County History: A History of the County of York - The City of York (Monograph). SYO1655.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
L S Archaeology, 2017, Hudson House EVA (Unpublished document). SYO1938.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2019 1:45PM