Monument record MYO4190 - Roman Road

Summary

RCHME Road 4. Road approaching York from the NE possibly from Malton (Derventio). May have crossed city boundary with Stockton Lane then travelled south of Stockton Lane with a change of alignment near Whitby Avenue to converge on the Lane near the junction with Heworth Green. Heworth Green represents the Roman line of the road towards the NE gate. Joins Road 3 here.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6411 5500 (5141m by 4365m)
Map sheet SE65NW
Civil Parish Heworth Without, City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish Stockton on the Forest, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

NMR Information:
RR 800 Roman Road. York- Stockton on the Forest (5 miles)
It is very probable that a road ran directly to the north-east from the fortress (SE 65 SW 1), starting most probably a little west of the present Monk Bar, but the course is soon taken up by Heworth Green and Stockton Lane. After a slight turn to the north on Sugar Hill, the present road runs very straight and somewhat raised, by 2 feet in places. Where it bends at one or two points there are hedgerows continuing the line. The straight road ends one mile beyond Stockton, and no definite trace has yet been found further on, but it may have been part of a route to Malton. During excavation in the cellars of the Treasurer's House a metalled road surface was found suggesting that it was part of the Via Decumana and thus part of the the north-eastern road. (1)

Road 4, approaching York from the north-east along Stockton Lane and Heworth Green. The early 18th century road from Malton following the line of Stockton Lane was believed by Drake to follow the course of a Roman road. This is likely but awaits proof. A cobbled causeway was found 2-3ft deep in Stockton Lane in 1926 but was only 9ft wide. Three finds of Roman road, though not exactly sited, are consistent with a continuation of the line of Heworth Green. Benson (1911) records a buried road 6 ft deep in Monkgate; Drake (1736) mentions a firm stone causeway 8 ft deep north of Monkgate and Wellbeloved (1842) refers to a paved road near the north-east gate of the fortress. (2)

See Linear Archive File RR 800 for further details (3)

1 Roman roads in Britain 426-7 1973 Thomas Codrington
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York Vol 1 - Ebvracvm. 1962. 1, 37b. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England.
3 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Ordnance Survey Linear Archive File RR 800 in NMRC


RCHME, 1962, Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum, p1 (Bibliographic reference). SYO62.

RCHME Road 4. Road approaching York from the NE possibly from Malton (Derventio). May have crossed city boundary with Stockton Lane then travelled south of Stockton Lane with a change of alignment near Whitby Avenue to converge on the Lane near the junction with Heworth Green. Heworth Green represents the Roman line of the road towards the NE gate. Joins Road 3 here.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Bibliographic reference: RCHME. 1962. Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum. 1. p1.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2021 12:04PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.