Monument record MYO4222 - Roman building and street system
4th century building and part of Roman street system located beneath the former site of St. Helen-on-the Wall medieval church in Aldwark during excavation in 1973. A mosaic floor survived where it had been sealed by the floor of the church.
|Grid reference||SE 6065 5212 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- INDUSTRIAL SITE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- INHUMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- MOSAIC (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TOWN HOUSE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- WASTER TIP (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Coin Mould, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
A mosaic in a Roman town house of the 4th century was discovered during excavations of St Helen-on-the-Walls Church. This overlay earlier timber buildings and industrial stuctures. Coin moulds, waster heaps and inhumations were also found.
1 The church of St Helen-on-the-Walls, AldwarPublished for the York Archaeological Trust 198 by J R Magilton
635654 Excavation ALDWARK (EBOR BREWERY)
645515 Excavation ST HELEN-ON-THE-WALLS/EBOR BREWERY
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Nov 10 2020 4:12PM