Monument record MYO4224 - Cavalry Barracks - Imphal Barracks

Summary

Following enclosure of the common land in the late 1750s the land to either side of Fulford Road was split into smaller fields. The Cavalry Barracks (1795) were constructed on the east side of Fulford Road to house troops who had previously been billeted throughout the surrounding area. This was one of 101 barracks built in England between 1793-1804 as part of a national building programme initiated following the French Revolution and a government fear of the rise of popular radicalism. The Infantry Barracks were constructed to the south of the Cavalry Barracks in 1877, these were renamed Imphal Barracks in 1951. The site was developed further during the mid-late 19th century to include married quarters, a church and prison. Outside of the barracks, Fulford Road saw the construction of several buildings associated with the barracks such as The Barrack Tavern (now Fulford Arms), Military Hospital and residential accommodation. A tram depot was located opposite the barracks, which linked them to the Command HQ and the city to the north, now replaced by retail units. Further expansion continued in the early 20th century, however by the end of the century the Cavalry Barracks had closed and the military presence declined. The Cavalry Barracks site is now occupied by a late 20th century police station. Https://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/download/1655/area_b_suburbs_character_statements

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6106 5044 (331m by 173m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish Fulford, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

NMR: Site of a cavalry barracks, built in 1796, additions of 1861-5 and demolished after 1970. The barracks consisted of three ranges, two on the north side, one on the south with the officers quarters on the west side and the east side open. The barracks were two storeyed, stables on the ground floor and the men's barracks above.

Related object BF060321 CAVALRY BARRACKS, YORK
Related event - 1995 architectural survey RCHME


Cotswold Archaeology, 2020, Frederick House, Fulford Road, York (Unpublished document). SYO2609.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: Cotswold Archaeology. 2020. Frederick House, Fulford Road, York.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Feb 19 2021 5:47PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.