Monument record MYO4255 - Southlands Methodist Church
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6012 5074 (68m by 35m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
The foundation stones were laid on 1 October 1886 by Sir W G McArthur KCMG, the Lord Mayor of York, the City Sheriff and other aldermen. It was designed by the architect Charles Bell. It was "the third great Wesleyan chapel" built within York in a short period of time when it opened as 'Southlands Chapel' on 13 October 1887. It has twin towers on either side of an ornamental window and is built of white Walling Fen brick. There was accommodation for 750 persons in a large central hall with fifteen schoolrooms opening upon it; the cost was £6,641.
An organ was installed in 1893. In 1920 a hall was erected to provide accommodation for the Young Men's Association and other recreational activities; it is a memorial to church members who fell in the First World War and cost £1,753.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 4:30PM